Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

If you need to stay in Florida for your undergrad, be sure to check out USF in Sarasota. Jay Hunsberger has a great studio for tuba and euphonium and was a student of Harvey Philips.
    Last edited by RickF; 12-18-2012, 10:39 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• The Euphinator
      • Nov 2012

I'll be sure to do so!

What are the best schools in the overall US for euphonium?

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by The Euphinator View Post
        What are the best schools in the overall US for euphonium?
        Well, North Texas, obviously. But Indiana is also very good, as is Arizona. And I can't say as much as I'd like yet, but keep an eye on Butler University announcements in the next few months.
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Snorlax
          • Mar 2007

I made the finals for the West Point Band in 1979 or so, though not a music major. Fortunately, I studied with Harvey Phillips. Like Michael Schott, I decided it was better to use my training in Business and Languages (and I flunked the West Point physical due to an operation on my spine--that was likely a sign as to where I was supposed to wind up). After a while, I became a professor of Business. That gave me the best of all possible worlds--a steady job that I enjoy, tenure, a flexible time schedule, and the ability to be in several excellent groups as a performer and arranger. If you play well, there will always be an opportunity to study with a fine teacher and play in fine groups. One last comment--the nice part of this arrangement is: If I get a call to do a gig I don't want to do, I just say no and don't have to worry about how I'm going to pay the bills.
          Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
          Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
          bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
          Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
          Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
          Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
          www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• JTJ
            • Nov 2005

I'm with the older guys in the forum: was a strong player in college, but knew there just weren't any jobs outside of the service bands, which I could not qualify for because of an injury which had made me 4F in the draft, and of no interest to the uniformed services.

But back to today, if I were young, knowing what I know today, I would seek to study with either Demondrae Thurman or Ben Pierce. Demondrae is arguably our best pure artist and performer & Ben has won every competition in the world worth winning, including the Falcone on both euphonium and tuba. They could help you to develop every bit of your talent; that plus a large measure of luck is what brings together a playing career.

http://www.benpierce.com/?page_id=6

http://www.demondrae.com/Bio.html
            Last edited by JTJ; 12-19-2012, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• bpwilliams
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by megan View Post
              Well, either the Navy recruiter I met with didn't know the policy (and didn't bother to check) when I inquired about auditioning for a fleet band 20-some years ago or the policy has changed in the interim, because his reply put me off of auditioning.

Either way, thanks for the clarification.
              It doesn't surprise me that a recruiter didn't know about the music/band program. He/she probably never had a person who was interested in the program before. Recruiters like everyone else get good at what they do regularly.

Comment

• The Euphinator
                • Nov 2012

I remember hearing a recording of Demondrae Thurman playing, I believe it was Believe Me, I thought he sounded amazing! Alabama isn't too far from home either, do you all happen to know if the school gives good financial aid?

Comment

• davewerden
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by The Euphinator View Post
                  ...do you all happen to know if the school gives good financial aid?
                  Someone else on the forum may know specifically, but in general, if you play great they will probably give you good financial aid! If this looks geographically doable, then I'd start reaching out to Demondrae now and exploring options.
                  Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                  Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                  Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                  Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                  YouTube: dwerden
                  Facebook: davewerden
                  Twitter: davewerden
                  Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

Working...
                  X