X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrandonJones
    • Feb 2008

Newly Designed XO Euphonium

I wanted to let you all know some info on the newly designed XO euphonium by Jupiter. First, the brand XO is separate from Jupiter. Think of it like Toyota and Lexus. Toyota makes Lexus, but Lexus is its own brand. This is the same type of situation with Jupiter and XO. XO is the professional line of instruments from Jupiter...like a luxurious Lexus.

Here's the description:

The XO 1270 Professional Compensating Euphonium meets and even exceeds the expectations of the finest performers. This full-featured euphonium boasts a meticulously hand crafted 12.2" yellow brass bell for excellent presence and broader dispersion. Combined with a custom-drawn rose brass leadpipe, this euphonium beautifully projects a warm, rich, sonorous timbre that is the very heart of this instrument. The full compensating valve system with dual bore graduations (590" graduated bore (4th valve .630" to .660" bore)) takes intonation to the next level of performance without the need for additional adjustment, tuning devices or triggers. The 3+1 stainless steel dual-lapped piston valve configuration offers smooth action Available in your choice of clear lacquer or bright silver-plated finish, this instrument is sure to please the most demanding artist.

I have recently joined the artist and clinician roster for XO. There have recently been some design tweaks made and they have made all the difference. The response and intonation are out of this world. No trigger needed. Valves are top notch (my particular horn has the best valves of any instrument I've ever played). Scale is incredibly smooth and even. I HIGHLY recommend you give XO a shot... they're seriously in the big boy category with Besson, Willson, etc. If I can be of assistance to anyone in regards to the XO 1270 euphonium, please let me know! I would be more than happy to help!

All the best,

Brandon Jones
    XO Artist & Clinician
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com
  • fmanola
    • May 2008

Brandon--

Could you clarify how this XO euphonium differs from the one reviewed in this previous thread?

--Frank
    Frank Manola

Pan American Eb, Meinl Weston 20, Wessex "Solo" EEb, King 2341 tubas
    Besson New Standard, TE 1150 compensating euphs
    Park Street Brass
    Old South UMC Brass & Organ, Reading MA
    Wakefield Retired Men's Club Band
    Windjammers Unlimited

Comment

• cochranme
      • Sep 2008

Congrats to Brandon on the new horn! Jupiter is lucky to have you on board. Would live to see some pictures.
      Martin Cochran
      Adams Performing Artist
      mceuph75@gmail.com

Comment

• DaveBj
        • Oct 2011

Price range?
        David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
        2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
        2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
        2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
        Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
        Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

• BrandonJones
          • Feb 2008

fmanola,

I'd be more than happy to clarify! This newer updated design is different in several aspects. For starters, the position of the leadpipe has been adjusted and is much more comfortable (similar to a Willson) and is now soldered to the bell. With the leadpipe being a heavy rose brass and the bell being a light yellow brass, the leadpipe being soldered to the bell gives a more stable feel and sound, particularly at higher dynamics and higher register without losing any responsiveness. The hand bar has also been redesigned and is VERY comfortable for the fingers. Some slight modification in the tubing has opened up the higher register significantly, and is has THE BEST low register of ANY euphonium on the market anyway, so now it's balanced. They're now taking more careful attention to the valves as well. My particular horn has the best valves of any horn I've ever played. The intonation is quite honestly incredible. Coming from an instrument needing a trigger, it is so nice to only have to lip F above the bass clef staff down a little bit and THAT'S IT. Everything else for me is dead center where it blows and stops a tuner dead still. It's so convenient!!! When I was at the warehouse and played SEVERAL XO euphoniums, I could tell instantly the older model XO's versus this new design. It is night and day. I played literally 10 seconds on the older ones (blind testing, by the way) and put them back down. The guys at Jupiter are SERIOUS about the quality of their product, and the XO euphonium is in my opinion the best on the market for me. As for price, you're looking around $4,000 or so for a new one in silver.... which also is mind-boggling. It simply plays incredibly well. I highly encourage you to try these and let me know what you think. I couldn't be happier with mine!

Martin: Thanks man! I couldn't be happier! I love it! The guys are awesome at Jupiter, very serious about the instruments and the XO line is really incredible.
          Brandon Jones
          bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

• megan
            • Sep 2012

Thanks for the rundown of the changes. It sounds like Jupiter addressed most of the issues I had with the XOs I tried when they first came out.

I'm currently shopping for something with a lighter, more compact sound than my Sterling to use with smaller, mixed wind ensembles, so I'd love to put a new XO though its paces.

One question: since both versions of the XO share the same model number, if I were to order one from WWBW or Music & Arts on trial, how can I ensure that I received the new model rather than the earlier one?a
            Last edited by megan; 11-03-2012, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• BrandonJones
              • Feb 2008

Hello megan,

The XO might not be the horn for you if you're looking for a "more compact" sound... While it can fit in an ensemble very nicely, it is also a very big, clear sound. I think you should definitely try it first.

I checked on your question for you. In order to get the updated latest model version, you need to go through your local deal and have them order one for you. I cannot guarantee the latest model from WWBW or any other internet dealer...

Let me know if I can be of any help!!

Brandon
              Brandon Jones
              bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

• highams
                • Feb 2006

Hi Brandon,

Great to see you are enjoying success with the new model. A student of mine is enquiring about seriel numbers as to before & after the changes you had made?
                Is there a specific model/seriel number to ensure the latest changes?

Thanks,
                CB

Comment

• BrandonJones
                  • Feb 2008

Hey Charley,

I'm glad you have a student looking into XO! Anything with a P at the beginning on the serial number and after is the updates. The serial number on these horn are on the 4th valve. If you order from a local dealer, they will only get the newer series. If you order from online stores, they may have older series...hope this makes sense.

Keep me updated on the purchase!

All the best,

Brandon
                  Brandon Jones
                  bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

• coolguy684
                    • Feb 2011

Is it strange that I tried a lacquer XO (old one i think) and it felt nicer, IMHO, than both a Willson Celebration and a Besson(Buffet) 2051? Ask Matt Walters about it too. He thinks its amazing as well. The serial number started with an "M" I believe, so it was an old, un-updated one, right?
                    If the old ones are that good, then what are they new ones like? I hope I get to try them at the factory when I go to Taiwan this summer.
                    Christopher Chen
                    bolded are for sale
                    B&H 967 - Globe Stamp
                    B&H 960 (3 valve comp euph) - Globe Stamp
                    Salvation Army Triumphonic Eb Alto, silver plated

On the lookout for:
                    Silver plated:
                    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Alto/Tenor Horn
                    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Baritone (3 valve)

York/Sterling/LMI variants accepted

Comment

• DaTweeka
                      • Jun 2012

Out of curiosity, how does it stack against the oh-so-hot Adams Custom? All the bracing, and the large bell, make me think that it would be a substantially heavier-sounding horn.
                      Last edited by DaTweeka; 04-18-2013, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• DaTweeka
                        • Jun 2012

I feel like it's time to re-up this thread; after going over the specs for the Jupiter horn, it looks like it sits somewhere in between the old Yamaha 642 and the Miraphone 5050. It has the valve block layout of the Yamaha, which means that first and third valves can be swapped, leaving the horn playable, but stuffy. It also has the 4th valve bore of the Miraphone, with a conical bore of .630 to .660, as well as a 12.2 inch bell, but is tuned to A=440 Hz, rather than Miraphone's now standard 443 Hz. The leadpipe is red brass, and the bell is yellow brass, which, based upon my research and forum combing, should be conducive a broad, dark sound given the lower copper content than gold or red brass. The more I look at this horn, the more it looks like it could easily be a more manageable Miraphone 5050, regardless of the reputation Jupiter has made for itself. I'm chomping at the bit to try one of these horns as soon as possible, and I'll give a full writeup as soon as I can.
                        Last edited by DaTweeka; 06-23-2013, 08:28 PM. Reason: changed some grammar, added a few points

Comment

• JTJ
                          • Nov 2005

Bumping this to say the Tuba Exchange has an XO now. Did not get a chance to play it, but will go back in a week or two and give it a try. Will contrast it to the Yamaha Neo and Adams Custom after playing it.

Comment

• kp110477
                            • Mar 2014

Curious to read the follow up on the last two posts. Thanks for all the info!

Comment

• JTJ
                              • Nov 2005

I played the one at the Tuba Exchange some months back. Did not have the time to play it a lot, but it played well, sounded dark and rich, a little like a cross between the York (mentioned in another thread) and a 642 Neo. I remember it feeling heavy.

john

Comment

Working...
                              X