Thread: Advice with high Ab

Advice with high Ab

I play a Prestige and have problems with Ab(concert) above staff. I have a decent high range (Eb) and can get them all with good sound and pitch. The Ab, however is my only problem - either can't hit it, or if by chance I do is fuzzy and out of tune. I've tried different combinations of mp and euph brands - with same results. I have a physical and/or mental problem with that note I can't figure out. Any advice will be MOST appreciated.

Are you saying that the problem on your Prestige is similar to what you experience on other brands of euphonium? If so, they it does seem likely to be a personal factor of some kind. It could be physical or "mental."

That is not typically a great note. It is generally flat on most brands, which can make it seem stuffy. How is the A? That is usually similarly flat, but because it has a shorter tube it may not feel as stuffy.

Try approaching it from a half step above and a half step below. So do a strong octave slur from middle A to high A and then slur down a half step, trying to keep the same volume and tone. The do the same on a G octave. Does that help? The more times you play it with success, the more you are training your chops and ears to "get it right."

You might also try it with 23 or 123 as an experiment. Usually that will raise the pitch a bit, which might help you get a feel for the "sound" of a high Ab's pitch center. Fool around with that for a few minutes, and then try the note with 1st valve again. Sometimes that process with break the habits that are holding you back.

Some people have a bad note or range because of physical makeup. This is not a defect, necessarily, but may be a characteristic nonetheless. Most people can overcome such a problem with more focused practice. A famous low brass teacher was asked by a student about a note that was not working well for the student. The teacher asked, "How long do you spend each day practicing that particular note?" The player said, "About 5 minutes." The teacher replied, "Well, there's your problem." So if nothing about helps (and if no one else comes up with the solution), I would suggest working on the note from different angles. Try approaching it from above and below over various intervals and dynamics, tongued and slurred, etc. If you find a particular pattern that sounds better than others, spend more time on that one to reinforce the better result.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium