• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • highams
    • Feb 2006

UK Euphonium Recital no.48

Saturday, November 17th. 2012

Willson UK Euphonium Artist Charley Brighton, with Malcolm Stowell, piano & organ
    St. Mary's Parish Church, Church Street, Slough, Berkshire UK SL1 1PJ
    12 noon admission free.

Programme of Music; (Willson 2900 Euphonium)

Euphoria (2012), Alwyn Green

Ballade Op.31, Carl Matys (1835-1908)
    originally for cello

Folk Tune (from 5 Short Pieces) Percy Whitlock (1903-1946)
    arranged by Elizabreth Bryan & John Belcher with organ accompaniment

Demelza, Hugh Nash (Goff Richards)

Dance of the Comedians (from The Bartered Bride) Bedrich Smetana (1824-1884)
    arranged by Rafael Mendez

There will be a display of vintage Euphoniums which will also be used in the recital

http://www.euphonium.webspace.virgin...m/recitals.htm
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

An interesting program, as always! I wish I could be there to hear it. The Dance of the Comedians is one I have worked on but never performed. I'll be curious to learn how it goes on euphonium (fast notes downs low can be hard to play with clarity). There are a couple other pieces I've not heard, but I'm hoping you'll post recordings after the gig.

Good luck!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• highams
      • Feb 2006

Thanks Dave,

The first 2 pieces feature the Willson 2900 Euphonium;
      Euphoria is a brand new original work (Spring 2012) from Alwyn Green, trombonist (euph) with the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra in the UK and who comes from a Salvation Army family where his father was a fine euphonium player.

Ballade was composed for cello & piano and transcribes beautifully for euphonium over a wide range. Matys wrote many works for cello & other chamber groups.

Folk Tune is an original work for organ, adapted for cello & organ in a soloists album for strings. I'll be using the 1980 Imperial Euphonium on this one, it has a nice long tuning slide to get down to the pitch of the organ at St. Mary's, built at A=432!

Demelza was written for E flat tenor horn & brass band/piano. It's popularity warranted a version in B flat for euphonium or cornet. The name means 'house on the hill' in Cornish (where Goff Richards was born) but probably relates to the beautiful Demelza who was a character in the UK TV series 'Poldark' set in the same county.
      It's an ideal melody to feature one of my oldest instruments, the Highams 5v Euphonium, originally built in C in 1891 (euphs were available in A, B flat & C in those days), converted to B flat but in high pitch (A=452), lowered to low pitch finally!

Back onto the Willson for the finale which is just such great fun!

CB

Comment

Working...
      X