Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Miraphone 5050 (2nd valve issue) Possibly Valve guide

Quote Originally Posted by djwpe View Post
    like Schmutz in the ports. Generally my first sticks. I've never had the fourth stick.

Don
    I agree, keeping the ports clean helps. Also, checking the guide track for debris is important. That's how I figured out my 2nd valve issue. It was really hard to see with out a light.

Thanks guys for the replies.

I cleaned out the horn with the QHR (Quick Horn Rinse + suddser). I did it outside as it's still 68? outside . I placed the horn on a white towel so I could see if any debris came out. Couldn't really see anything, but who knows.

After I posted above, I took out the 3rd valve and saw how the guide comes out. Yep, you have to work it out slowly (worry it?) up and down. I used the the valve stem to help lift it until I could grab it with finger nail. I was going to swap the 3rd guide with the 4th guide to see if that was the problem (they are both the same size), but when I held them up to the light in the kitchen, I noticed the 4th guide wasn't square. The bottom of that guide was sticking out more - or would go into the groove deeper. So I carefully filed it square with a metal nail file.

After drying the horn, lubing the slides and oiling the valves it seems to be fine now. I understand it may take some time to 'break in' or 'seat in' the valves. I think I was spoiled with the 3 valves working flawlessly since I got it.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    ...I noticed the 4th guide wasn't square. The bottom of that guide was sticking out more - or would go into the groove deeper. So I carefully filed it square with a metal nail file.
    I suspect you are very careful with your horn, but I have often seen this when the valve is inserted and the guide is allowed to strike the top of the casing. It disabled Ann Baldwin-Shreves' Willson just before a performance. So I took out my trusty, tiny Swiss Army Knife and used its nail file to do just when you did.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345