Thread: Euphonium lessons in Chicago

1. Euphonium lessons in Chicago

Hi Everybody,

I recently purchased a euphonium after not owning one for the last 6 years.

I was a music student in college, and played professionally for a time (in a cast of the show "Blast!").

I have been practicing daily, giving myself assignments, etc, but I'd like to take some lessons as a motivator, and to ensure I'm not slipping into any bad habits that I don't notice.

Can anyone recommend a Euph teacher in the Chicago area that would fit the bill here?

Thanks!
    Mike Taylor

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Dave Werden's Euph/Tuba forum.

Although I can't recommend a private teacher in the Chicago area, just wanted to say welcome and how much I always enjoy the show by "Blast". I was fortunate to see their performance a few times... the last of which was some years ago at Disney World's Epcot center. "Blast" always put on a great show.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. Hey Rick,

Thanks for the comment. It's fairly likely that I was in that show, as that's where we were before the tour started.

Take care,
    Mike

4. Contact Rex Martin (Northwestern) , Mark Fisher (DePaul), or Floyd Cooley (Depaul) and ask if any of their grad or upper class undergrad students give lessons.

5. Thanks Megan,

I'll look into it.

Mike