Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Van Osten & his Conn

Thomas Van Osten & his Conn

Quite the dandy, eh?

Never heard of him, but then again.....

Reportedly he was married to a "singer with Sousa's band".

DDG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails osten2.JPG   osten3.JPG  

And that singer would be Inez Lord Mecusker.

More about Thomas D. Van Osten and Inez on this link.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I've played one of those, albeit very briefly. The man from whom my father and I bought my 86I in 1960 had a gold-plated "nekkid lady" DBE, and he let me play it for a few minutes. (I was a 9th-grader; I couldn't do much with it, but I'd love another chance )

Instrument valued at a whopping $400!!

But after adjusting for inflation, in today's dollars that's probably about a million $$.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    But after adjusting for inflation, in today's dollars that's probably about a million $$.
    It doesn't say what year that was, but I found an inflation calculator going back to 1939. $400 in '13 is a little over $9300 now, not bad.

We offered to buy Charles Towsley's DBE, but he wasn't selling. We paid 200 1960 dollars for the 86I; that's something over $1500 now, almost twice what I paid for the Jin Bao. Mr. Towsley was 92 years old and needed the money, but not enough to sell the double.
    Last edited by DaveBj; 09-25-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Van Osten played in the very early 20th century, so a fair date to pull the $$ conversion would be around 1915 or so.

DDG

I'm betting you couldn't touch a new-condition Conn gold-plated DBE, nekkid-lady or otherwise, for the inflation-adjusted price. However, if Jin Bao can produce a Yamaha clone for less than $1k, I'd bet they could produce DBE (ordinary finish, not gold plated) for less than $2k. I've dropped a hint, but I don't think they noticed.

Update: found the poster for sale at an antique brass musical instruments site -- it's from the 1890s. I don't think our inflation calculators go back that far.
    Last edited by DaveBj; 09-26-2012 at 06:54 AM.

I joined this forum to let the group know that I have and own this double bell euphonium. My father bought it in a pawn shop in the late 1950's in NY. I had the horn reconditioned 15 years ago. I never knew about the original owner until now.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemitchener View Post
    I joined this forum to let the group know that I have and own this double bell euphonium. My father bought it in a pawn shop in the late 1950's in NY. I had the horn reconditioned 15 years ago. I never knew about the original owner until now.
    Welcome to the forum! That's a great connection you brought to the discussion. Osten was apparently kind hearted, at least based on this story, where he tries to help a fellow musician find a life outside of prison:

https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/insidecdcr/2...-prison-walls/
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast