Thread: Video Recording

1. Video Recording

Hi all, I need your help.

This coming two Saturday's (September 22 and 29) I will be recording a video audition for a concerto contest. I have no experience with video recording or editing software for the PC (I run Windows 7 on a pretty substantial desktop). Can anyone give me some advice?

I need to do the recording (I have a great venue), edit results, and have it available online (private Youtube will work).

1. Any suggestions on a cost effective (i.e. not too expensive) recorder?
    2. Editing software (preferably freeware or something not too expensive)?
    3. Output format for high quality posting to youtube?

Doug

Doug,

The very most important thing to make sure you do is to get around the automatic sound level that most camcorders use. This will make the recording sound less professional than you want. Canon (the brand I own) has an inexpensive Camcorder that has video quality up to HD if you like and records in stereo sound. But most importantly, it has controls that allow you to bypass the automatic level control and set recording levels yourself. It also allows you to plug in an external mic if you have a good stereo mic (but the mics in it are probably good enough if you control the level).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	418vs1-s-lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	1568
    The link is here:
    Canon Vixia HF R300

The Canon can record in several formats. Its native format is .msi, I think, but not all video software will read that. I think it has other options that are more generally compatible.

Windows comes with a video software (Movie Maker, I think it's called) that will probably do what you need.

Good luck!!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Possible Solution

Dave, Thanks for the suggestion. I also have looked into the Zoom Q2HD, a good digital sound recorder also with video up to 1080P and editing SW for the PC for $199.95. I have a Zoom H2 sound recorder already and like it. This would replace it and add the video.

See this here: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41Q-kZibIwL__SL500_AA300_.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	1569

I haven't tried that one, but from the description on the Amazon page, there is no manual recording level control. There are 3 settings for automatic level, and maybe one of them is good. But when you think about how auto level works (by adjusting the record level up and down as it hears variations in the source volume), I would worry about that.

My Canon does not have 3 choices for auto, but its one choice does way too much compression. The manual control is what a classical musician's ears want to hear.

There was only 1 review on Amazon. If you could find more reviews, maybe someone would address that concern. Or maybe there IS a manual control that I missed or is not mentioned in the description.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

5. Dave...The first part of mic gain reads: "Analog Mic Gain for precision volume control: Using the analog-type MIC GAIN wheel allows you to dial-in the perfect amount of gain for any recording application." I have a Zoom H2 and that has the same kind of mic gain.

I was afraid I might have missed something so obvious! Tired eyes this morning. Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Given that, it would probably be a satisfactory choice for what you have in mind. If I had to guess, I'd say the video versatility would be less than the Canon. This could make it tricky to get good mic placement along with the right visual perspective. But it may also have better mics than the Canon (I haven't done extensive testing of its mics yet; so far I only know they are at least OK for music). The Zoom might be easier for you to operate, though, especially because you are already familiar with the "mode" of Zoom controls.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)