Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Adams Custom Euphonium Arrived!

My New Adams Custom Euphonium Arrived!

While I was in Europe after ITEC 2012, I spent a day at the Adams factory. Not only did I get to learn a LOT about the company and how the do things, but I also got to do some customizations on the horn they made for me. It was nothing too radical, but it allowed me to have the horn "fit" my posture better. There were a couple other minor things, but nothing that would affect the performance of the horn.

After that point, and after the factory was through with its summer break, they had to finish the horn and get it ready to send to me. Yesterday it arrived, and I have some photos and first impressions.

I stayed with the same metals as my previous horn: yellow and gold brass in the body, and a sterling silver bell. But this time I chose the .60 tubing over the .55, and I chose to have it done in the brushed brass finish. I had been thinking about the bright finish again, but I wanted something that looked a little "special" and different from the pack. Also, it occurred to me that I have played shiny horns my entire life, except for a 4-year stretch in the 1970's when I had a satin silver Besson.

So far I'm very happy with the way this horn plays. The sound is a bit deeper, but still flexible, and response seems even better than the previous Adams (which is saying something!). Intonation seems a bit better in a couple places, but I really need more time to be sure about if and where.

Attached are several photos to give you an idea of the appearance. I didn't have much light so I included different "poses" to try to catch the light that existed, but I think you can see it well enough.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

If you are one of my Facebook friends, there are more photos there (my profile is "davewerden").

Otherwise I have a couple additional photos in this album:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/album.php?u=9100
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Dave,

Is there there anything special you have to do to take care of these finishes (E.g., beyond what you'd do to take care of a shiny silver finish)?

4. it's a really beautiful instrument.

Gotta love those two-tone (no pun) horns.

Good choice, Dave. Long may she play!

DDG

Quote Originally Posted by fmanola View Post
    Dave,

Is there there anything special you have to do to take care of these finishes (E.g., beyond what you'd do to take care of a shiny silver finish)?
    Nope. It actually requires less care than "normal" silver. The entire horn is clear-lacquered, so it's just a matter of wiping it off. I suppose it's necessary with the brushed metal - too much polishing directly on the brushed finish would gradually smooth it out, so they chose to lacquer it to protect the texture.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

What a beautiful horn Dave! Thanks for sharing those pictures.

sent from iPad
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Thats really bonny Dave, So the sterling silver bell and all the other yellow / gold brass, is scratch finished, lightly buffed then treated with exactly the same laquirer all over I presume? Very nice, I just wish I could get a blow on one in the UK instead of planning a trip to Holland in the near future!

Is it the E1 (305mm) bell rather than the E2 (310mm) bell?
    I haven't noticed anyone specifying which model they are playing, so I was interested which the majority vote was for.

All the best
    Dave

To tell you truth, I've never thought about it (E1 vs E2)! My original understanding when they told me about the E2 many months ago is that it would be the heavier weight model. From the specifications on their euphonium page, that does not appear to be the case. I'll see what I can find out.

I CAN tell you that both my old & new Adams Custom euphonium bells are 12", which would make them the 305mm bell. The inventory number on the packing list doesn't seem to specify E1 or E2.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Reach to 4th Valve

One difference Adams has made since my original horn was made is the reach to the 4th valve. They modified the height of the outer 3rd valve slide tube just a little. I think the larger change was that they changed the mounting angle of the 4th valve itself. Attached are two photos. One is blurry, but I thought it was worth including because it shows the angles well.

The left hand grip is now much more relaxed and comfortable, and the 4th valve should be an easier reach for smaller hands.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast