Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graf Zeppelin (The Conqueror)

Graf Zeppelin (The Conqueror)

Here's a vote for "Graf Zeppelin" (published in the US as "The Conqueror"). Beautiful euphonium melody (gets up there too) in the trio, which becomes a countermelody when the theme repeats, and lots of euphonium activity elsewhere as well. It's recorded on the album "Heritage of the March, Vol. 63 - Oh! What Beautiful Euphonium Sounds, or, The Youffer's Nightmare", and lots of YouTube videos (I especially like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzyNGe5qW4A )

--Frank

PS: The march was published prior to WW I, so the title "Graf Zeppelin" refers to the Count, not one of his airships (or the aircraft carrier).

2. Great march, great recording..

That's a nice march with a great euph part! Their euph section even gets to take a bow in the end. Carl Teike wrote some great marches with Alte Kameraden (Old Comrade) being one of my favorites.

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by RickF; 09-11-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Interesting seating arrangement for the band--tubas & euphs far left as we look...
    But what's that lone euph player doing over on the other side of the band?
    Doesn't look like he's playing a baritone...anyone notice that mislocated euphonium???
    Jim

Jim,
    Yes, I noticed that. Poor guy must have done something wrong. At first I thought maybe he was helping the bassoons, but watching his fingers, he was playing the euph part.

I don't like seeing the euphs seated on the "squeaky side" of the band, but I've noticed this seating arrangement in other bands from Europe.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I was also intrigued by that, so I looked at some other recordings (by the same group?) at that location. In the other cases, the musicians were playing the oval style instruments, and I didn't spot the other musician, so no clues there. I suspect that the Lone Eupher is a bassoonist who doubles on euphonium.

I found "Graf Zeppelin" (or The Conqueror) by Carl Teike played by an excellent band in Tyrolean, Austria, "Musikkapelle Villnoss". From one of the remarks below the video, this valley only has 2500 residents to support a wind ensemble like this. Impressive. The 4 euphs all look to be playing the same model horn so they match very well. Maybe the Yamaha-321.

Graf Zeppelin -Carl Teike; Musikkapelle Villnöß - Osterkonzert 2010 (Easter Concert 2010)
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

The 4 euphs all look to be playing the same model horn so they match very well. Maybe the Yamaha-321.
    I found another video of one of their euphers playing "Harlequin" - (Philip Sparke) with the band all from memory. His name is Tobias Leitner. He's playing 3+1 non-compensator so pretty sure this is a Yamaha-621. If interested, you can watch here:
    Last edited by RickF; 04-23-2018 at 10:33 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

The German wind band instrumentation generally calls for Tenorhorn I and Tenorhorn II (these would be the oval, small-bore horns); and then Baryton. The tenorhorn parts (not to be confused with the British brass band tenorhorn) are written in treble clef Bb, and the Baryton parts are written in bass clef.

I've played within German military bands on a few occasions in "Partnership" concerts. The tenorhorns generally sit on the left as you're looking at the band. The Baryton(s) generally sit fairly close to the tubas and other bass voices. I suspect the Lone Eupher is playing the Baryton part.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I found another video of one of their euphers playing "Harlequin" - (Philip Sparke) with the band all from memory. His name is Tobias Leitner. He's playing 3+1 non-compensator so pretty sure this is a Yamaha-621. If interested, you can watch here:
    This boy is a very good euphonium player, I saw another video on youtube where he play " Scaramouche" with an Adams euphonium.
    I'm wrong, the guy who plays " Scaramouche" is called Tobias Reifer. I'm sorry.
    Last edited by franz; 04-24-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast