Thread: about mutes ...

about mutes ...

I live in an apartment with a nosey, constantly-complaining-about-everything harpy living below me, therefore I must mute all my practice sessions except those that (rarely) occur when she is gone for a few hours; thus the mute question.

I still haven't received my C/B-flat euph from Wessex (tired of waiting) so I bought, locally, a well used but sweet-sounding vintage Olds baritone to hold me over. I intend to use the future new euphonium in TC using the B-flat slide and in bass clef using the C slide (using CC tuba fingerings). I did play trumpet/cornet in several years of Summer band, ages ago, so I pretty much know the TC fingerings but very much need the practice--thus the baritone.

The bell of this baritone is not adjustable and faces forward with a curve. I need to buy an inexpensive practice mute for this instrument and can't figure out if the currently advertised baritone/euphonium mutes will fit a curved-before-exit bell.

Any help on this one?

nero
    _____

2. Check out the following link. This is what you're looking for. Enjoy!

http://www.amazon.com/Humes-Berg-Sto.../dp/B000T04FKW

Unfortunately, the real "action" these days is for the European-style euphoniums with upright bells. Most of the products are designed for (and shown with, in ads) an upright bell horn.

The mute shown in the link above may or may not help you keep peace with your neighbors. It is a standard mute and not made to soften the tone to the level that a practice mute will.

Also, some practice mutes extend pretty far into the bell, and these would almost surely not work for a curved bell. The Wick mutes, for example, seem to go in pretty far.

You might want to look at the mute that Just-for-Brass offers. Here is a blog post I did about it a few years ago. It is quite short, and it MIGHT work. Maybe you can contact Pat Stuckemeyer at sales@justforbrass.com and ask if he know whether it would fit.

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...-Practice-Mute
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Rather than buy a dedicated practice mute, why not buy a straight mute that you can use in concerts, and make a removable foam donut for it? If you look at the practice mutes being sold today, many of them use the same mute body as a straight mute, but with a foam donut glued on. If you used a fairly dense foam, like ensolite, it should work and last a long time.

Caveat: I have not tried this. I bought a Yamaha Silent Brass mute about 15 yrs. ago and use it several times a week, when I am practicing in my condo. Fortunately that is coming to an end; I plan to retire in February, and instead of working in silicon valley Tues-Thurs, will be home in Monterey the full week, with the nearest neighbors 100 ft. away!
    Last edited by SJWSEuph; 09-11-2012 at 01:44 AM.