Thread: Zoom h2n

Zoom h2n

Hello!
    Soon I will receive at home Zoom h2n recorder and want to know what the best conditions for making a good recording: type of room, setting distance recorder, recorder setup ...
    Thank you!
    Jorge Estruch: Euphonium, trombone & tuba teacher/Euphonium player

Euph: Besson Prestige 2052-2
    Mpc: ​Denis Wick 4AL

Twitter: @jorgeuphonium
    Instagram: @jorge_estruch
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/JorgEuphonium

Zoom h2n

You need to find a large room with good acoustics. That is critical, and if the room doesn't sound good, then the recording will be poor.

After you are in the right room, it's a matter of playing with placement. Normally the mics should be roughly where the audience should be. But you don't want to be TOO far away, because mics don't focus the way our brain/ears focus. If they are too far away, the mics will record too much reverberation sound, and once that sound is captured onto to 2 tracks of stereo your ears can no longer sort it out as easily.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Zoom h2n

While I do not know much about recording, I do know a little about this product, as I have owned one for a while now. I would first read the instruction manual, as it has two settings, each one for a different distance. There is also a setting for if you are playing directly into it, or if you want it to record from all directions around it. There are also settings for recording volume and pretty much anything you want to customize, so my recommendation would be to read the instruction manual and then customize it for your needs and room type. Good luck recording!