Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cronkhite Gig Bags

Cronkhite Gig Bags

I agree David that it's the leather. I had an RB (Reunion Blues) bag before this made of cordura and it didn't tarnish my horn. It was an older RB bag from when Glenn Cronkhite still worked at RB.

I'm not sure if Glenn Cronkhite has made any changes to his leather bag design or not recently. I contacted him about this issue a couple of years ago. I wrote in an email that my bag was bought used so I didn't expect him to do anything about it - just wanted any suggestions he might have. His reply was that he had heard from just one other person (tuba player) who had a tarnish problem. He actually offered to take the bag back and try to add some extra liner inside (what a guy!). But by then I had already figured out the shower cap cover.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

2. Cronkhite Gig Bags

Thanks for all of the responses. This has been a great source of information on these gig bags. I will probably email Mr. Cronkhite soon about obtaining one of these gig bags and will report back on whether anything has changed with his leather bags. Thank everyone for their time.

Cronkhite Gig Bags

I just got my leather Cronkhite bag last fall. I get the tarnish around the bell rim (one or two small spots) if the horn sits in the bag for more than 2 days. It's a minor annoyance at worst. Good reason for not leaving the horn in the bag (Daily practice is a better reason).

Don Winston

P.s. Nice meeting you at CTEW, Carroll

4. Cronkhite Gig Bags

Thank you for the response. I have figured out that if I use the Besson cloth bag (literally a cloth drawstring bag) that comes with the instrument, that should prevent the tarnishing from occuring.

5. Instead of starting a new thread I fired I could just revive this one: I've heard nothing but good things about altieri, cronkhite, and Reunion Blues bags, but has anyone used a soundwear bag? They look appealing and I'm trying to weigh all of my options equally. What bag does everyone here use?

6. My friend has one and she seems to like it. Matt Walters at Dillon's recommended Soundwear to me, although I have not gone gig-bag shopping yet, but since he recommended it I'm sure it can't be bad.
    Willson 2960TA
    Denis Wick Heritage 4AL

Quote Originally Posted by Dubby View Post
    Instead of starting a new thread I fired I could just revive this one: I've heard nothing but good things about altieri, cronkhite, and Reunion Blues bags, but has anyone used a soundwear bag? They look appealing and I'm trying to weigh all of my options equally. What bag does everyone here use?
    I have a Soundwear that I used with my Sterling, and when I bought my 5050 I bought a Cronkhite to use with it. The Soundwear is very protective, but it's also very large and very heavy. But it makes up for those problems by being awkward to carry and having bad backpack straps. So it's a winner all around.

I prefer the Cronkhite, but the Miraphone bag is a close second for a lot less money.

Don Winston

Texas, where every thing is bigger & BETTER
    I do not recommend the Soundwear! If you are looking to carry your horn on your back, then stay away from them. The straps are poorly designed, and I regret buying it. The bag is very protective, but bulky. I was walking down the hallway to my band hall one day before school and all of a sudden I heard the velcro come undone and all of sudden my horn hit the floor with a loud thud! Everything seems to be ok, but I don't want it happening again. I now use two luggage straps to help keep the strap from being undone. The weight for me isn't really a problem, I'm a high school sophomore about 5'5, and the bag makes me look like I'm carry a 3/4 tuba, but honestly I really don't feel the weight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12