Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Besson Frustration

Besson Frustration

So, sorry if this is a long story. I bought a new Besson 2052 from woodwind brasswind in March, and after about 3 weeks or so it started making this metallic vibrating sound on certain notes. I tried everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, to make it stop. I reset springs, took parts off the horn to see what was causing it, oiled everywhere metal touched metal, and took it to two repairmen, one of which is highly recommended by my studio teacher at school and repairs CSO brass instrumants. He had no idea how to fix it, so I eventually gave up and got a new horn from W&B (they have a 60 day return policy). Everything was working great until tonight, when, for some unknown reason, my new horn started doing the exact same thing. I'm definatly not covered by the return policy anymore and judging by the results I got when I tried to get the first one reparied, getting it fixed is probably not going to happen. What gives??!!!? Has anyone else had the same problem or ANY idea of how to fix it? I've tried everything obvious like tightening screws, oiling moving parts, and so on.

Besson Frustration

I had a similar experience recently. As it turned out, it was the clip of my pen, which I keep in my shirt pocket. As I moved certain ways it would lightly contact the bell and made a vibrating noise. So check all your clothing for anything hard that could come into contact with the horn as you move while playing.

It's hard to think that two horns in a row would have a mechanical defect like this, so I'd look some more for simple reasons.

As I assume you experience something similar in different rooms? Sometimes a buzzing light fixture or something can seem like it's the horn.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Besson Frustration

Is it possible its something in the room causing the vibration and maybe its your ears playing tricks on you? Just a thought....
    Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

Besson Frustration

xctfeuph,

I know what this is. It is the main tuning slide that is vibrating. If you play those certain notes and hold the main tuning slide, it will go away. The remedy is using a slightly thicker main slide grease. I have found great results with the Schilke tuning slide grease that comes in a small white container with black screw top. It's cheap, and long-lasting, and it's very thick and the main slide can move freely with little effort, unlike a thicker grease would create. Let me know if this helps and remedies the issue. I struggled finding it for a while a few years ago as well...! It is because the main slide moves SO freely, which is ultimately a good thing. The Besson's have some of the best trigger action on the market. Feel free to shoot me an email if you prefer, but I'm sure we can get this taken care of.
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com

Besson Frustration

@BrandonJones: Is this the stuff that you use? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/brass-instruments/schilke-tuning-slide-grease/475200

If this works you have NO IDEA how excited I'm going to be. It's been driving me insane. I tried playing normally and then while holding the tuning slide, and it seems to make the problem go away. Thank you so much for your advice. If this works I will be absoulutely overjoyed.

Besson Frustration

Quite a common problem for Prestige Euphs, the one I worked on involved adding small rubber pieces to the tuning trigger spring tensioners, where they coiled around pillars and rested on bare metal.

CB

Besson Frustration

xctfeuph,

You got it!!! That's the stuff. Works beautifully! Start by applying a thin layer on the entire tuning slide, and work each leg in slowly... be patient... make sure it stays as even as possible. Then work the trigger a few times without playing slowly. If it's still there, add more grease. Beautiful thing about that stuff is that you can add quite a lot and it still keeps the slide moving pretty freely. Let me know once you've given it at shot, and I hope it helps you out as much as it did me!!!

Best,

Brandon
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com

Besson Frustration

The Schilke grease worked for me. I had a vibration in my 2052 as well. After reading Brandon's post I bought the grease and slathered it on. No more vibration.

Turns out the stuff I was using was too thin.

Thanks, Brandon!

David Smith

Besson Frustration

I got that grease, and I've been trying different amounts of it for a little over a week and the vibration still seems to be there....I'm really at a loss about what to do for this. I really like the way that the Besson horn sounds so I don't really want to shop different brands, but the constant vibrations on certian pitches drives me nuts. Brandon (or anyone else), do you have any more ideas of what could be causing this? Thanks so much for all of your help.

Besson Frustration

Originally posted by: xctfeuph I got that grease, and I've been trying different amounts of it for a little over a week and the vibration still seems to be there....I'm really at a loss about what to do for this. I really like the way that the Besson horn sounds so I don't really want to shop different brands, but the constant vibrations on certian pitches drives me nuts. Brandon (or anyone else), do you have any more ideas of what could be causing this? Thanks so much for all of your help.
    1) Pick a note that will cause the horn to vibrate consistently.

2) While playing that note, have a friend touch various parts of the horn until the source of the vibration is located.

3) Apply fix as needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast