Thread: CC method ?

CC method ?

Dear double-letter players,

Is there such a thing as a method book devoted to the CC ? Since the fingerings are different from the BB-flat, I would guess that not all tubas are equal and have separate method books--yes, no ?

As a last resort, is there anywhere on the web that I can find and print out a fingering chart for the CC? Lowest to highest, or better yet, experienced player's lowest to highest.

There seems to be a dearth of info relating to the CC vs. the BB-flat. Any good books, methods, music, info specific to the CC?

Any info welcome.

Thanks.

nero

_____

2. CC method ?

Nero,

Google "CC tuba fingering chart" and multiple versions are shown.

CC method ?

Are you a member of ITEA? They have some resources (like fingering charts) that might be helpful.

But are you speaking of bass clef music? Tuba players in the USA typically learn to read the same bass clef music for any tuba they need (BBb, CC, and F commonly). They just think of different fingerings for each instrument.

Most good method books take you through lots of keys common in actual music. So I don't see a need for special methods for CC vs. BBb. In the end they are both going to be used on the same compositions, so methods/etudes that relate to common music should be good for any tuba.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

CC method ?

There may be method books specifically written for CC, but I haven't seen any. Except for brass band music, tuba parts are written in concert pitch (the same for all keys of tuba), and you simply use the fingerings appropriate for the tuba you have. The same is generally true of the method books I'm familiar with (e.g., the Arban); the notes are written in concert pitch, and you just need to use the appropriate fingerings. So you need to use the method books in conjunction with a fingering chart. I do have one method (by Robert Kietzer) that has separate books for different tubas, but in that case it's one book for bass tubas (Eb and F) and one book for contrabass tubas (CC and BBb), the difference being in how high and low the exercises go.

--Frank
    Frank Manola

Pan American Eb, Meinl Weston 20, Wessex "Solo" EEb, King 2341 tubas
    Besson New Standard, TE 1150 compensating euphs
    Park Street Brass
    Old South UMC Brass & Organ, Reading MA
    Wakefield Retired Men's Club Band
    Windjammers Unlimited

5. The tip above about using Google will lead to to fingering charts, and there are those for 4 valve and 5 valve CC tubas. There are all kinds of tuba method books, but I have found the best overall method for most players is the Arban book, which is just written in concert pitch (bass clef). It works on pretty much every aspect of good playing fundamentals, and is well worth the year of so it will take to go through it. It is available now in a tuba edition (no transposition) from various sources. I have found Encore Music to be a good site to go to for it, as well as other books (Kopprasch, Bordogni, etc.)