Thread: false teeth ...

false teeth ...

' Have recently attained 68 years (don't ask me how, I don't know). I've purchased a French C tenor tuba from Wessex Tubas (delivery shortly), and wonder if anyone else is playing an euphonium/tenor tuba with false teeth. I lost all my teeth in my early-mid twenties due to a calcium absortion problem in my teens.

I used to play French horn thru all six years of Jr/Sr high school (well enough to be in marching band, concert band and orchestra) and trumpet/cornet in Summer band for many years. Neither mouthpiece is acceptable using dental plates, at least at my experience level. The larger mouthpiece of the Baritone, Euphonium and Tuba will work though since I have already tried all of same--not easily but do-able.

Anyone else out there?

nero

_____

PS--for the record: this 'tuba' is actually a 4-keyed, rotary euphonium with exchangable tuning slides for B-flat and C. Therefore with the B-flat slide in, it becomes an euphonium and with the C slide in, it becomes the equivalent of the old French C tenor tuba. Since the instrument is nearly the size of an euphonium, I included my request in the euphonium sector of the forum.

_____

false teeth ...

Nobody? I'm surprised, Nero; I thought for sure there'd be some dentally challenged euphers/tubists out there somewhere.

I don't have dentures, but I did have braces and a complete jaw reconstruction when I was in my late 20s, to correct a massive underbite. It did not affect my playing, good or bad, but [full disclosure] I was not playing at the time, and it was about 10 years before I started playing again.

DaveBj

David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

false teeth ...

I have nothing to offer in the mouthpiece and denture direction, but I would very much like to see what you think of that instrument when you get it and have played on it for a while.

I was VERY tempted to get that horn and perhaps add a fifth valve to it, making it more of a genuine tenor tuba. But in a long conversation with Tom McGrady I was warned off of it and instead got the compensating euphonium I am playing now. Tom told me that he had stopped offering the "baby tuba" at Mack Brass because of of the terrible intonation problems that afflicted the ones he had dealt with, and he sold his last one on eBay for about $500, saying that it could potentially be turned into a good instrument with some significant effort in changing slide lengths.

I would still be interested in getting one of those horns (e.g., from Wessex) at some point in the future if they do have reliable and correct intonation -- and adding a fifth valve to it, of course . So please post your impressions of it when you get a chance.

Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

4. I don't have dentures, but I've got 4 crowns right in the middle of my upper teeth. I've had trouble keeping the crowns from falling out. When one of the front crowns is out I can play fine, but it affects my embouchure a bit so I have to be careful attacking notes.

My mouthpiece does not rest on my teeth. It sits on my gums. I'm going to be switching to tuba as my primary instrument soon and I think that would be even easier -- although time will tell.

KKORO