Thread: System Blue Mouthpiece?

1. System Blue Mouthpiece?

A friend of mines, who I always look to for advice, had recommended this mouthpiece to me and was wondering if anybody else played on one of these type mouthpieces. I know the Blue Devils (DCI) plays on these exclusively so I'm pretty sure they are high quality but I just want some personal opinions on it. My friend had also recommended the Steven Mead Ultra which I enjoy playing on always but I need a new mouthpiece because I need a small shank mouthpiece and he told me that the System Blue can project better. Any help?

System Blue Mouthpiece?

From the description provided at the link below, it would appear that this mp is optimized for marching band use. So, it may be useful to you depending on your needs. The Ultra might be better for symphonic band and solo work

XtremeBrass

- Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

3. System Blue Mouthpiece?

The system blue mouthpiece was designed with the system blue King marching euphonium. The mouthpiece is fantastic for the king marching horn, but okay for symphonic purposes. The mouthpiece is a large shank though. Wierd thing that it is a large shank, I tried putting my largeshank Denis Wick Ultra SM4U into the king*and it was too small??

I happen to know this because I march the King system blue euphonium. It's the best marching euphonium I've played. You can't overblow on it! You can project extremely loud and still get a nice tone quality! Heavy horn for marching I must say! It's a workout!
    2011 LMEA- All State 1st Chair.
    Besson 2052 Prestige
    Meinl Weston 551S
    King System Blue Marching Euphonium
    Getzen Eterna Series Bass Trombone
    Blessing B-78 Jazz Trombone

4. Quote Originally Posted by BE2052andMW551S View Post
    The mouthpiece is a large shank though. Wierd thing that it is a large shank.
    Do you know if the system blue baritone mouthpiece is also large shank? I've been searching for an answer and I can't find one for the life of me.

Quote Originally Posted by BE2052andMW551S View Post
    Wierd thing that it is a large shank, I tried putting my largeshank Denis Wick Ultra SM4U into the king*and it was too small??
    On the "regular" (not System-Blue) King marching euphoniums, they take large shanks but you're also supposed to use a mouthpiece with a "long" shank (ie. Conn Remington mouthpieces). I have no idea why it was designed that way, the horn came with a Hellenberg 5E mouthpiece (large AND long shank). Mouthpieces of a normal length will fall into the receiver.
    University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
    Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S
    Courtois 551BHRA
    Conn 88HCLSGX
    Various Greg Black mouthpieces

6. I play the small-shank System Blue (NOS King Version) on my Wessex BR-115 in community band. I find it a superlative mouthpiece. It has a cup diameter comparable to a 6 1/2 AL, with a rim similar to a Wick rim, and a throat which is only slightly larger than the G throat of the Bach. With its true funnel cup, it has a mellower tone than a 6 1/2 AL, which, in essence, is still a trombone mouthpiece, and has good tonal consistency from register to register.

It may be different from the Euph version, but with the deep true funnel cup that the Bari version has, they must be similar.

7. Quote Originally Posted by iiipopes View Post
    I play the small-shank System Blue (NOS King Version) on my Wessex BR-115 in community band. I find it a superlative mouthpiece. It has a cup diameter comparable to a 6 1/2 AL, with a rim similar to a Wick rim, and a throat which is only slightly larger than the G throat of the Bach. With its true funnel cup, it has a mellower tone than a 6 1/2 AL, which, in essence, is still a trombone mouthpiece, and has good tonal consistency from register to register.

It may be different from the Euph version, but with the deep true funnel cup that the Bari version has, they must be similar.
    So the System Blue SBBA mouthpiece is a small shank mouthpiece?

8. Quote Originally Posted by trex1490 View Post
    So the System Blue SBBA mouthpiece is a small shank mouthpiece?
    As far as I know, and this only applies to the older King versions of the System Blue, as I do not have experience with the current System Blue, yes, the SBBA is the small shank baritone mouthpiece, and the SBEU is the large shank euphonium mouthpiece.

EDIT: according to this chart, the SBEU is just a hair larger in cup diameter than the SBBA, leaning towards Bach 5 size:
    http://www.allbrassradio.com/page2/
    Last edited by iiipopes; 01-04-2017 at 11:45 AM.