Thread: NEW JERSEY: and yet another Dillon story...

1. NEW JERSEY: and yet another Dillon story...

Matt can do it all...

Last fall, I gave him my recently purchased 1965 Salvation Army Triumphonic compensating baritone to do an overhaul on. The horn already was cosmetically quite good, but the valves were original (i.e. worn) and the 1st valve slide was stuck. It also had some recent dents due to the eBay seller shipping the horn with a loose mouthpiece in the case.

Matt dissasembled the valve section down to the crooks (all other tubing removed) and sent it to Anderson plating in Indiana for replating, remachining, new guides, etc. He also placed the 1st valve slide assembly (now unsoldered from the valves) in a penetrant solution to soak for a lengthy time. After several months, he received the valve assembly back from Anderson in "as new" condition. He also was able to unstick the 1st valve slide. Matt removed all of the significant dents in the bell and outer branch (the bottom bow was near perfect) and reassembled the horn by resoldering some 16 or so tubing and bracing joints. Keep in mind that the original silver was near 100% (no wear through at all) so we did no cosmetic replating or refinishing. I got the SA baritone back today. After a quick bit of external cleaning and polishing, I found I have a REALLY nicely refurbished 47 year old baritone. I literally cannot tell that a good number of the joints and braces in this horn were unsoldered, dissassembled, and then reassembled. Matt's solder work is beautiful.

I am very pleased with the work done to this vintage and rare horn. The Salvation Army stopped producing their own brass instruments in 1972. I have confirmed that this horn was made at the SA factory in January of 1965. While this baritone appears to have been a late production SA horn made using the Besson New Standard tooling, it is constructed differently from the vintage Bessons. This horn is STURDY!. It is the heaviest little horn I have ever seen, outweighing the 4 valve York I normally play and giving a regular American baritone a run for its money. It has additional bracing between the valve section and valve slides that the normal horns do not and it is made of much thicker guage and heavier metal than the Besson built horns. What makes it particularly rare is that it is a 3-valve full compensating horn, a very late change near the end of the SA production.

Doug

Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

2. and yet another Dillon story...

nice! may we have a picture or two please? i just recently bought an SA tenor horn from Dillon. They really are built sturdy! so many braces and nice heavy guage metal. also, would u mind sharing how much the job costed?

Christopher Chen
    bolded are for sale
    B&H 967 - Globe Stamp
    B&H 960 (3 valve comp euph) - Globe Stamp
    Salvation Army Triumphonic Eb Alto, silver plated

On the lookout for:
    Silver plated:
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Alto/Tenor Horn
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Baritone (3 valve)

York/Sterling/LMI variants accepted

3. and yet another Dillon story...

Originally posted by: coolguy684 nice! may we have a picture or two please? i just recently bought an SA tenor horn from Dillon. They really are built sturdy! so many braces and nice heavy guage metal. also, would u mind sharing how much the job costed?
    Pictures as requested...Regarding price, you should check with Matt and Dillon's for cost information. He had to send the valves to Anderson in Indiana, so this was not a cheap job. Also, I was in no hurry, so it was not a quick job. But the pricing was fair and the work superb.

Doug

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SA-Bari-01.jpg   SA-Bari-02.jpg   SA-Bari-03.jpg   SA-Bari-04.jpg   SA-Bari-05.jpg  

SA-Bari-06.jpg   SA-Bari-07.jpg   SA-Bari-08.jpg   SA-Bari-09.jpg   SA-Bari-10.jpg  

Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

and yet another Dillon story...

Very sweet, I'm envious!

Keeping old horns in playing shape is rewarded with great karma.

Dennis

5. and yet another Dillon story...

that is one beautiful horn! how does it compare with your more modern baritones? they seem to have changed the shape since then too. in the modern ones the top part of the bow doesn't loop over the valves, it stayed below.

Christopher Chen
    bolded are for sale
    B&H 967 - Globe Stamp

On the lookout for:
    Silver plated:

6. and yet another Dillon story...

The SA horn has a smaller bore than modern baritones like the York 3056 that I play. This horn plays as well in the upper range but is VERY stuffy in the lower range. Intonation is pretty good until you get down to low Bb and below (the low range does not center very well). The tone is very nice and it singes pretty well with an SM6B Wick. The Alliance that I use on the York is a bit big for the bore. My Bach 6 1/2 AL also plays pretty well on the horn.

The modern horns are built like saxhorns, whilst this is like an old bari-euph. The problem is that it is awkward to hold, since the valves are very high relative to the lead pipe. Thus there is nothing handy to hold on to with the left hand. I rest my hand under the valve slides and rest the horn against my "ample" stomach. I don't like having to support weight with my right hand as it causes wrist cramping and slows down the fingers.

A good horn, though certainly not as good as the modern ones.

Doug

Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

7. and yet another Dillon story...

i have sorta the same issue with my triumphonic tenor horn. plays well in mid to upper register, but low notes are completely out of tune. and hard to use.

Christopher Chen
    bolded are for sale
    B&H 967 - Globe Stamp

On the lookout for:
    Silver plated: