Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Besson Trigger Problem -- HELP!

New Besson Trigger Problem -- HELP!

It seems, after reviewing this thread, that the response time from Dillons isn't the best. The OP dates from 5/23 and it's been 3 weeks since then.

Dillons has a pretty good reputation for their work, sales and service, so I'm wondering just why it's taken so long for the OP to get some sort of positive assurance from them.

One of the reasons I opted not to buy a Besson at the time I bought my Sterling was shoddy customer relations from Besson. I'd played Bessons for decades and love the sound, but with the problems they'd had with quality from that "awful" period and the absolutely dismal customer service support here in the States since that time (not much better, even after Buffet-Crampon's takeover), well, it didn't take much convincing for me to move elsewhere.

No real point to this post -- just an observation that this matter should not have taken 3 weeks to figure out a plan. The horn, as I understand it, still needs the work so the issue isn't fully resolved yet.

Time ticks on...

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

2. New Besson Trigger Problem -- HELP!

Received my instrument back from Dillons yesterday. So far so good. Plays like a dream. The spring is definitely positioned differently than before.

To be fair to Dillons and to Besson I do want to clarify what happened. Matt Walters at Dillon was willing to do the repair from the start -- without even involving Besson's warranty. He said that any instrument he sells will be serviced within 48 hours. And Besson was always willing to warrant the product. The big issue was that the cost to me as an individual (vs. a business) to ship and fully insure it would have been ridiculous (about $200 each way). So it took several weeks to work things out with Besson with regards to shipping.

Once I DID ship it Matt Walters at Dillons he repaired it and shipped it back out within 24 hours.

I will let you know if there are any more problems, but at this time I am now satisfied with the outcome and consider the case closed.

3. New Besson Trigger Problem -- HELP!

Matt Walters is one of the finest repair technicians anywhere in the world. My experience is that if he says it is fixed...it is fixed.

Doug

Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Biscayne!

Hey! I learned to drive in a 65 Biscayne. Straight six with enough room in that huge engine compartment for my Dad to climb in beside the engine to perform maintenance. Clipping a clothespin on the butterfly valve inside the air filter for mountain driving. Pounding palms against that over-sized, rock-hard steering wheel while parallel parking (no power-assist = upper-body workout). Bent steel dashboard - perfect for catching the forehead of the front, middle-seat passenger, since of course the car came with only two seatbelts (one each for the front driver and passenger), the hideaway gas tank behind the rear license plate, and the ability to pull the key out of the ignition while driving down the road - great practical joke: "Oh, no! the key came out, so I can't steer!"
    . . . just to brake-check the nostalgia a bit, I also remember Dad pulling the engine for a rebuild at around 60K . . .
    I attended a car show a few years ago, and the distinctive note of a starter motor whipped my head around - yep, dude was turning over a Biscayne.
    Good times! Thanks for prompting the walk down memory lane, Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    First, it is always a good principle to not have extra "stuff" if you don't need it. Maybe I learned that from my Grandpa. He always bought the lower models of cars, like a Chevy Biscayne instead of the Impala - less to break!

However, I found with my trigger on the Sterling that "conventional" lubricants didn't work well (oil). I used trombone slide cream and it made it smooth and dependable. (I also lubed the pivot points, but that was mostly for quietness and there I used synthetic oil.)

What do use to lube the slide?

5. OK, after reading this post- and before throwing brands and dealers under the bus, lets consider where you bought your horn. That company is responsible for customer service, and shipping (if the situation warrants it at their discretion, to their location). It is the retailers responsibility to contact the manufacturer if indeed they think there is a manufacturing problem to obtain an RA. If it is approved, the instrument is shipped to the manufacturer by the dealer at the dealers cost, problem evaluated and solution, then shipped back to the dealer (or end user) at the manufacturers cost. I know first hand that a manufacturer is not going to process anything if they do not have an authorized RA in hand, therefore, no RA. Besson is not shipping anything, not their fault, just business. Now, if you buy a car from a dealer, you don't contact the factory for service do you? Matt Walters at Dillon's is one of the best, but because you cannot buy locally, shipping for the end user complicates things, especially if they are out of state. Having a good local brass shop and repairman should be on everyone's top priority list. Why is it that you can only find a handful of dealers that are willing to stock the top euphonium in the world?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12