Thread: Thinking about Grad. School

1. Thinking about Grad. School

I am just finishing my third year in my undergrad studies and I am thinking about which grad schools I want to audition for. I know for sure I want to audition at UNT (Bowman), University of Alabama (Thurman), and University of Arkansas (Pierce). My career goal is to end up in a military band, but I have also considered going the soloist/teacher route. Last semester I was strongly considering auditioning for RNCM and RWCMD and wanted to go the brass band route, but I think financially (futuristically speaking) it would be better to go military band. My issue now is figuring out if going oversees for my Masters (which is becoming a strong aspiration for me) then coming back to the U.S. would be a good idea. Obviously the amount of money I would spend overseas would be astronomical but I would get the opportunity to learn from David Childs or Steven Mead and I would have the reputation of those fine conservatories behind my name. Anyone have any thoughts on this or can offer advice about auditioning for any of the schools listed above? Any help is appreciated. Also here is a YouTube clip of myself playing Sparke's Harlequin with the Eastern Iowa Brass Band. Gauging my abilities may help in your responses (and it's a bit of advertising for me!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdrJgMuSHSg

Thanks!

Thinking about Grad. School

I know that Stephen Allen at Rutgers is from the UK and is a big Brass Band guy and sends kids to RNCW and I would check out his program for grad studies if that was your interest.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Thinking about Grad. School

Study at the RNCM would be wonderful. The British in general have a different approach and you would pick up many new concepts (and be lifted by the general high quality of musicians around you).

However, be sure you can keep your own concept of playing along the way, unless you want to sound "British" when you return. Even a remarkable player like David Childs might actually have trouble winning a service band audition because his sound and style would not blend in with the rest of the brass. It is almost always a strong factor in auditions (how the player will fit in).

But you seem to have a strong sense of style already. I personally would not hesitate to go across the pond and learn from these outstanding players and teachers. If you can afford it, I believe you would come away from the experience thinking it was money well invested.

By the way... do you like beer?

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Thinking about Grad. School

Thank you both for your suggestions! I know I will still audition everywhere I was originally planning, but I think that if I ended up being accepted to either RNCM or RWCMD I would end up there....and worry about money later haha.

Dave, Yes I do like beer! I'm curious as to why you asked, sounds like there's a story coming haha!