Thread: Solo with wind ensemble

1. Solo with wind ensemble

Dr. Hochkeppel, the UL - Lafayette wind ensemble director, has permitted me to perform a solo with the wind ensemble on my euphonium as long as it is something that involves percussion as well. So far I can only come up with the Carmen Fantasy and Philip Sparke's Fantasy (I've played this one for a barrier jury). Anyone else have any ideas? Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Solo with wind ensemble

Have you considered the Gordon Jacob Fantasia? It has a great band accompaniment and is the first original solo for euphonium by a major composer.

There is also a concerto by Vaclav Nelhybel with a very strong band accompaniment.

Or for something a little jazzier, there is Jerry Owens' Variations (no ad-libbing required).

But those are only a few of the many solos available. You could do some surfing on YouTube and probably find examples of these to listen to, and while you're there you might run across many others that appeal to you.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Solo with wind ensemble

Check this link out. It has a good list of solos with wind band. http://euphonium.com/repertoire.html

James
    James Long
    Besson 2052
    SM3U
    Falcone Finalist
    Oakland University Brass Band