Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Besson 2052 hand guards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Besson 2052 hand guards

I play on a Besson 2052 euph, and I, like many tuba/euph players, have very acitic hands. I have had the horn for a little less than a year, and I am already starting to notice that the finish on the places on the instrument my hands go, are getting a little cloudy. I would like to protect the finish on the horn to keep the value of the horn up, so I would like to find some way to cover the spots that my hands go.

I really dont want to start wearing gloves (mostly because it looks super dorky) and I have looked online, and havnt been able to find anything.

Do any of you folks know of a place I can buy grips or leather straps for my instrument?

Besson 2052 hand guards

Hi Yoof,

Leather Specialties (in Atlanta) do a good job. Their system is made of three layers... outside layer leather, the second layer plastic (to block moisture), and a soft inner layer that comes in contact with your horn (like velour).

Here' a link:
    LESCO

You'll need to search around for appropriate models.
    sent from iPad
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Besson 2052 hand guards

It doesn't look like they have guards for besson 2052s, I searched prestige, besson 2052, and just looked through all of the euphonium stuff, none of it was for a 2052 :/

Besson 2052 hand guards

If you're looking for the 'right hand' hand protection to cover the handle, I would think a Besson Sovereign would work. They do make custom fitting ones... or at least they used to. They may charge a bit more for this as it's a bit more work. They made a guard for my left hand grip below the 4th valve. I made a pattern with pen and paper and faxed it to them. Here's an image of that pattern (scaled smaller):

I had them re-make this protector since the 3 1/2" length wasn't big enough. I told them to make one 4 1/2 long keeping the taper the same. Of course I paid for a second guard.

The guard on my 641 looks like the attachment below (the horn on right):

The owner of LSCO, Larry, used to play trumpet with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. It's a family run business where his wife and son also work there.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 642-641.jpg  
    Last edited by RickF; 07-01-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

5. I am not trying to hijack this topic, so please direct me to the correct thread, if possible.

I see that both of the euphoniums shown in the photo have the brass gutters on the bottom of the valves.
    Where can I purchase one for a YEP 642? (actually a Mack Brass Euph.)
    Thanks.

I don't think the valve trough for Yamaha's 642 is available anymore - or if it would fit the Mack Brass uuphonium. The P/N for the valve trough that fits the 642 is: YAC 1671P

I believe Wessex offers valve troughs for their horn. Maybe you could order one of those.
    Last edited by RickF; 02-17-2017 at 08:33 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Besson 2052 hand guards

I decided to take Rick's advice and I followed up with the Leather Specialties Company website. I called the phone number listed and spoke with Larry Black. He said that they do indeed have a set of hand guards for the Besson BE2052S Prestige Euphonium, but that they will not be posted to their website until later this summer. However, he said anyone wanting to inquire about them can email him at larry@lscoguard.com. There are four pieces, one that wraps around the valve cylinders ($13.18), one that wraps around the hand rest bar ($13.18), one that wraps around the third cylinder tuning slide ($21.98), and one that wraps around the portion of the bell tube below the fourth valve ($33.98).

Best Regards,

Don Brown

-------------------------

Besson BE2052S Prestige

Working on mouthpiece:

SM4AL and Schilke 51D, 57 for now; Planning on trying SM3U or SM2U, possibly PS-SOLO...Lot of money to try them side by side, though.

Besson 10-10 F Attachment 'bone (1968), SM4AL, Schilke 57, 59.

Conn 50H Director F Attachment Tenor 'bone (1970), SM4BS.

Thanks.
    Best Regards,
    Don Brown
    Besson BE2052S Prestige, SM3X
    Adams E1 0.60 SS Bell, SM3X
    Hirsbrunner HBS 479 black nickel plated, SM3X
    Bach Stradivarius 42B0 F Attachment 'bone, SM4AL
    Yamaa YBL613 F/Gb Bass 'bone, DW HT1AL
    Besson 10-10 F Attachment 'bone (1968), SM4AL
    Conn 50H Director F Attachment Tenor 'bone (1970), SM4BS
    Blue pBone just for fun!
    Indian bugle
    Shofar

Besson 2052 hand guards

Hi Yoof,

As I mentioned in my last post, I followed up with Leather Specialties. Larry Black was kind enough to forward me pictures to show all five guards for the BE2052S Prestige. Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Besson BE2052 Prestige 25.jpg   Besson BE2052 Prestige 9.jpg   Besson BE2052 Prestige 16.jpg   Besson BE2052 Prestige 17.jpg   Besson BE2052 Prestige 20.jpg  

Thanks.
    Best Regards,
    Don Brown
    Besson BE2052S Prestige, SM3X
    Adams E1 0.60 SS Bell, SM3X
    Hirsbrunner HBS 479 black nickel plated, SM3X
    Bach Stradivarius 42B0 F Attachment 'bone, SM4AL
    Yamaa YBL613 F/Gb Bass 'bone, DW HT1AL
    Besson 10-10 F Attachment 'bone (1968), SM4AL
    Conn 50H Director F Attachment Tenor 'bone (1970), SM4BS
    Blue pBone just for fun!
    Indian bugle
    Shofar

Besson 2052 hand guards

Don and Rick,

Would those guards possibly work on an early 1980's era Hirsbrunner? If not, what would?

Best,

Mark

Besson 2052 hand guards

Hi Mark,

Not sure if these would fit your horn. I would think not as the bracing is probably different. As you can see in the pictures I shared above (Yamaha 642 & 641) the bracing near the 4th valve is different... and these two horns are close cousins. I'd suggest you call the company (or email them) and ask. They can make custom guards of course.

sent from iPad
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast