Thread: Brass Band Auditions

1. Brass Band Auditions

Hello everyone,

I am just wondering what should normally be prepared for a brass band audition for euphonium, and also how different are they from wind band auditions? (I am not auditioning for one now, but I wish to know as my career aspiration is to be in one in the future). Thanks for your time.

2. Brass Band Auditions

I play in a community brass band. The auditions we had were quite informal but I'll give you some advice that might help.

The first thing I suspect is different, is that you have to read transposed treble clef in a brass band (except on bass tbone). So I would assume that you need really good reading skills.

Second, Euphoniums have quintessential parts in brass band music, Solo in nearly every piece, nice counter melodies, fast runs high range....etc So you need to have great chops but also great endurance...

Third, in wind orch the Euphs play a lot with the tubas, the trombones, the saxes, the horns... Sometimes the first trumpet... In Brass band, it is almost constantly with the solo cornet (Duos, melodies at the octave, counter melodies... etc) So I would assume that it is important to learn to play with higher instruments and to match tone and articulation with soloists.

Fourth, Sing!

______
    Just as a sidenote, you mention "career aspiration" and barss band in the same sentence, and not to be a buzz-kill but, most brass bands aren't paid.(Or aren't paid enough to live off) Players might be top notch but there isn't much money in it.
    http://www.yeodoug.com/resourc...q_text/brassbands.html

3. Brass Band Auditions

Thank you for the response. I used to play trumpet so I can read treble clef, but I need to work on it a lot to get it to a worthy sight reading level. I also know about the money part, but that could almost be said about most any career option on the euphonium, so I know I would have to either teach or have a day job to make money. I am just going to have to keep practicing until I can be in the best then .

Since you mentioned Doug Yeo's website (www.yeodoug.com), it would be a good time to let the other members of this forum know about this wonderful resource if they do not already.

Brass Band Auditions

As another BB Euphonium player I echo what pmeuph has to say. High range is very important as high D and even Eb (treble clef) above the staff are fairly common. You play above a staff a lot as a BB euph. The parts are considerably more technical than the average concert band part as well. If the BB competes at high levels in competitions the euph parts can be extremely difficult. If you can find the euph part to Philip Sparke's Year of the Dragon you will see what I mean.

The solo cornet and solo euphonium are the two most important parts of a brass band so you will need to be proficient in all areas.

5. Brass Band Auditions

Thank you for the response.I am playing the harder wind band pieces at the moment(Melody Shop and Blue Bells)to try tget my technique as good as possible. I also may be able to play in a brass band in college depending on where I end up going. I also work on extending my high range every day to be able to play as easily in the stratosphere as the easier ranges. I just hope to practice enough to become good enough to play professionally one day.