Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Confusion with Alliance Products

1. Confusion with Alliance Products

Actually, I play the Alliance E3 and it is also labeled Prestige.....

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Confusion with Alliance Products

Ah, thanks, Doug. I know the E2s well, but was speculating on the other members of the line.

Do all the Alliance mouthpieces have Prestige on them?

3. Confusion with Alliance Products

Originally posted by: JTJ

Do all the Alliance mouthpieces have Prestige on them?
    John, I don't know. I only have ever had the E2 and E3...Doug

Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

According to Roger Webster, the "Prestige" line of euph mouthpieces (2, 3, 4, 5-for baritone) have "Prestige" engraved on them; the "standard" line of mouthpieces, which have an "a" appended to the number (2a, 3a, 4a), are slightly shallower than their "Prestige" counterparts and do not have "Prestige" engraved on them.

No. The euphonium 4 is not a prestige model even though it is pretty much identical in all respects except rim size to the 2 and 3. Why? Not developed by SM.

Baritone 6 is shipped with the prestige baritone. NOT a prestige model mouthpiece. The 5 is. The gourlay-developed tuba mouthpieces are labeled prestige even though there are no besson prestige tubas.

--
    Barry

Originally posted by: bbocaner

No. The euphonium 4 is not a prestige model even though it is pretty much identical in all respects except rim size to the 2 and 3. Why? Not developed by SM.

Baritone 6 is shipped with the prestige baritone. NOT a prestige model mouthpiece. The 5 is. The gourlay-developed tuba mouthpieces are labeled prestige even though there are no besson prestige tubas.
    It's certainly possible that Roger Webster either misspoke or misremembered in his reply to my e-mail inquiry.

Measuring cup diam with pin point calipers & cup volume with a 12ml syringe my DC2 measures 26.75 mm & 10 ml and my 4 AL 26.5 & 10 ml respectivly. But how is that important musically!?

So which mouthpiece from Alliance would equate to a Denis Wick SM 3.5? I'm thinking of depth and rim diameter. Would it be the standard 2a or the prestige 2a?
    York Eminence 4052
    Denis Wick SM4X

9. Confusion with Alliance Products

Standard 2a would be closer to the 3.5 Wick. The Prestige 2E is closer to a Wick 3.

Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Thanks for the info, my teacher thought it was time for me to move up in size so i thought I should bring out my SM 3.5 from years ago which was too big. Now it feels just right but i like to have another option with me so an alliance and/or ultra seems like the best addition to my setup.
    York Eminence 4052
    Denis Wick SM4X

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast