Sponsor Banner

Collapse

Does a stuffy air passage result in stuffy sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JP
    • Jan 2007

I have a head cold and am really plugged up. When I practiced the euph tonight, it sounded as stuffy as I feel - almost as if the horn knew! If they are related, why? It seems as though the horn is seeing the same air whether sick or not.

Sorry if this has already been addressed. I couldn't find a post.

JP
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

I suspect that your tone sounds stuffy because your ears are stuffed up and can't hear normally.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

I agree with Rick. It's possible that your cold is causing you to use your air differently. Usually when I have a cold it is uncomfortable to put forth as much as I might normally. Maybe you are holding back a little in reaction to the cold without actually realizing it.

But with most colds your ears get stuffed up. One BENEFIT though - you might hear your intonation more clearly in this situation, or at least hear it from a different perspective that gives you an extra insight or two.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Dieter
        • Dec 2009

On another brasswind forum, a theory was once posted that your sound is influenced by the total 'volume' you make available in your mouth when blowing. As far as I remember, this theory states that the more volume you create in front of the mp (tongue position etc.), the better your sound develops through the horn.

I really do not know how much of this theory is true as it needs more research I suppose, but maybe your stuffiness does reduce your aperture, hampering your sound?

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Dieter,

I suspect that the concept of internal volume has to do more with the unrestricted flow of air than the amount of air inside the mouth. If you tongue is out of the way it is easier to get a clean air flow through the lips.

When you have a cold, especially if you are taking typical meds, your tissues dry out, your lips may be chapped, etc. There are physical changes to the bodily equipment that creates the vibrations.

Usually your ears get somewhat plugged, and your throat may be sore. This not only affects how well you hear yourself, but it may inhibit your tendency to fully support your tone. Putting more air pressure against a sore throat or tender eustachian tubes doesn't feel good. Add to that lungs that are impaired and you can see how you are not easily going to play at 100%.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• littleguino
            • Aug 2010

In fall of 2010 I got the chance to hear Steven Mead perform only a half hour from where I live. I was shocked to find out after the concert that he was going through a cold the few days he was here. I couldn't fault his sound at all, but then again, it is Steven Mead so I guess it's to be expected.

Just goes to prove that it is possible to play greatly when you are sick, even if it isn't at your best.

Just thought I'd share since it seemed relevant to me....

Comment

• MMillman
              • Feb 2012

2 years ago I caught glandular fever and was quite ill for some time, I probably stopped playing for about 2 months. When I resumed my playing I still wasn't completely well again (apparently it can take up to 3 months to get back to original fitness?!) I struggled to find a good tone when playing. At first I thought perhaps it had just been a long time since I last played so started at the basics, long tones and lip flexibilities etc. but after 2 weeks of normal practise it was still no better.

The day after my ears popped and everything sounded rather nice again. Just goes to show, you might not sound as bad as you think

Comment

Working...
              X