Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miraphone Ambassador 5050 buzzing vibration

Miraphone Ambassador 5050 buzzing vibration

I've had my 5050 since the beginning of 01/12 and am loving it so far. But it has a buzzing vibration that seems to have something to do with the valve springs or something inside the valve casings. I haven't taken them apart yet, because the buzzing is minor. I hear it, but I'm not sure a casual listener would hear it. I recall reading another thread that said Miraphone valves use materials that are a little different from other brands. Someone mentioned they use a material like teflon or plastic instead of felt. Anyway, I was hoping someone might be able to give me some tips on what to look for when I take the valves out for the first time tomorrow.

The horn was purchased new, and when it arrived it was in the Miraphone box and it was apparent I was the first person to open the box. I'm thinking something minor shifted during shipping, etc. or maybe at the factory. The vibration reminds me a lot of the vibration I had on a new Jupiter 482 tuba I bought a couple years ago; it needed just a minor adjustment to be perfect.

Thanks in advance -hald

My guess: springs.

Take a piston out. (While you are at it, wipe it off with a lint-free cloth.) Look inside the cylinder as the piston is pointing straight up and see if the spring is centered in the bottom and is not leaning too much. If it doesn't look right, jiggle the horn a bit and see if you can coax it into position. Once it's there, oil the piston and put it back in. As it starts to contact the spring, you can either move it up and down or turn it back and forth to make sure the spring seats in the center of the piston's bottom. Then put it all the way together. Repeat 3 more times.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Could also be a valve cap, bottom or top, which is not really tight. I have had that problem a few times.

John

Good point, John. I also forgot to mention other screws, like the lyre screw and the screws that hold the water keys.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

And while we're on the subject of noises, check what you're wearing. I've had buzzes from light contact with my pen clip in my shirt pocket, from the zipper on my sweatshirt, and from metal or plastic buttons.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

The rod that attaches to the main tuning slide from the trigger can also rattle.
    My temporary but elegant solution is a wad of used chewing gum where the
    rod attaches to the "nipple" off the bottom of the main slide.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Check screws on the nifty slide guard. That's usually the vibration culprit on mine
    Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

Actually, I took that gold metal thing off the horn. It was really heavy and did indeed seem to have a sympathetic vibration at B flat...

Dan--I just remembered I never sent you the info on my tuning slide. Sorry.

Stay tuned, Dan!

Jim W.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Ive had my 5050 since October of 2011, and have also spent some time chasing buzzes and rattles.

I found that the Bb rattle was mostly related to the water catcher. I obtained some o-rings from the plumbing aisle at Home Depot (can't find the label with the sizes), and placed them over the nipples so that I have to compress the o-rings to install the water catcher.

There is another noise, more of a buzz than a rattle, that comes and goes around D or Db in the staff, when played pp in a quiet room. I thought this sound might be springs, but it persisted after the change to coated Mead Springs. Likewise when I removed the belly guard, and the stop rod, it persists.

I added tiny o-rings to the trigger linkage, where the ball joints made metal to metal contact at each end of the linkage rod. I've pretty much decided I have to live with it as a side effect of the incredible resonance and great, big sound of the horn.

Ok, I was curious, so I took off the gold "belly guard" and weighed it with the screws.....9 oz....Jim, your right it is a bit heavy.

Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast