Hi, all,

Late last fall I picked up the $79 Tascam iM2 stereo microphone for my iPhone. I've been getting good results using it.

The two apps I've been using are Tascam's PCM Recorder (for single track stuff, like recording my rehearsals and concerts) and GarageBand.

Here's a demo of a 4-track GarageBand recording I made yesterday in my living room.

http://youtu.be/rOH3ZywcfME

The iPhone was on a low table to my right, within arm's reach. I recorded using GarageBand. I used non-microphone earbuds (I suspected the microphone on my iPhone earbuds was causing interference) on a long cord (21') to listen to the GarageBand metronome. I played around with positioning the phone; in the end, the phone was on a low table right next to me.

The limiter on the microphone was on. The recording volume was most of the way up - you would need to experiment to figure out the best volume. I didn't use any effects in GarageBand (reverb, concert hall, that kind of stuff).

The music is the Chorale #5 by J.S. Bach from the book Bach and Before for Band by David Newell (Neil A.Kjos Music Company). The book offers 19 chorales by Bach and others. The series of books is scored for all band instruments, so you can play the chorales with any combination of instruments. Or with yourself and a multitrack recorder.

I played this one on my Yamaha 321 euphonium.

Stuart Kern

Silver Spring, MD