Thread: Wants a brand New euph

1. Wants a brand New euph

Hello, this is my first post.

Throughout High School I played on a Hirsbrunner Exclusive and I loved it but once I graduated I had to give it back. So durring the summer between senior year and my freshman year at the University of Houston I started playing on an OLD willson 2900 medium shank Euphonium. I had no other choice so I started using it and I still can't get used to it. I want something with the power and the sensitivity of the Hirsbrunner. Is there a euph that would be similar if not better. I just feel like the Willson 2900 is to small for me and the sound i'm getting sounds like i'm over playing it. Can someone help?!

Wants a brand New euph

I would try the Miraphone 5050 and see how it works for you. Played a Hirsbrunner recently and though it is not the same, especially in the bell flare, it reminded me of the 5050 in some ways.

Wants a brand New euph

Other candidates would be (in alphabetical order):

Adams Custom (either the new heavier-metal models or the sterling silver bell model)Besson Prestige (large bell)Sterling Virtouso with large, heavy bellWillson 2975 or 2960Yamaha 641 or 642I think all those have a good, open sound and a more open feel than the Willson 2900 you experienced. The most similar in blowing feel might be the Adams. I find the first 3 above to have the biggest sound.If you are looking for a large, deep sound, you would be advised to try the horns in a big room if at all possible. Trying them in a small room can give you a totally wrong impression (smaller-sounding horns will usually sound better in a small room like the typical practice room or household room).

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Wants a brand New euph

I was looking at the Sterling Virtouso or the Miraphone 5050. I liked the size and sound of both. On the Sterling I liked the Red brass with heavy caps but I just don't know what's right for me. My teacher (Dan Vinson) said he loved the Miraphone 5050 even more than his York. I was also looking at the Adams but I don't know about the gap adjuster they have.

Wants a brand New euph

I think you would be better served asking your teacher, who I assume is the former USCG principal euphoniumist, to help you figure out what's right for you rather than a bunch of folks on the Internet whom you don't know and who don't know you or your strengths and weaknesses as a player.

It's one thing to ask for info on available options to consider (in that regard, I would also mention the large shank Willson 2900BT, which plays like a vastly different instrument than the med shank 2900, and the 2950, also large shank); it's another thing to ask for a specific recommendation.

Wants a brand New euph

There's a sterling Vertuoso for sale right now on TubeNet. Don't know the seller but it sounds like a good price. Seller is located in Austin, TX.

Link

[i]Sent from iPad
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Wants a brand New euph

"I want something with the power and the sensitivity of the Hirsbrunner." ... " the sound i'm getting sounds like i'm over playing it. "

I can resonate to those comments. My subset of instruments which meet those criteria would not include the Willson 2900BT, which I played for a while and felt I had to overplay to overcome its insistence that it be played its way.

I basically agree with Dave but would put the Yamaha, Besson and large belled Willson further down the list than the 5050 & the Sterling.

All snark aside, nothing wrong in asking for opinions, especially when you have a real pro for a teacher.

Wants a brand New euph

I play on a Yamaha 642, and it plays almost exactly the same as my teacher's Hirsbrunner. Even the intonation is very similar.