Thread: WTB Compensating Euphonium

WTB Compensating Euphonium

I am a Music Education major and have been looking to upgrade to a compensating euphonium. The main one I am interested in is the Yamaha 642. Feel free to email me if you have a different brand though. Looking to spend around $3500.

2. WTB Compensating Euphonium

I recently got a Besson 968GS for $3000 - found it on eBay from a guy who didn't know what he had, I guess. Pretty happy with it. Compensates like a dream. Good luck.

Awesome! Thanks for your help!

I found one being sold on Craigslist in Indiana for $1500 that looks to be in good condition. I feel it is the same as your situation, PatRyan...I'm not sure if they realize what they have. I emailed them to see if it was still available. The post was a month old, so it's a long shot but hopefully it is and I can check it out.

Thanks again for your help!

Well you can't go wrong with getting a horn from Dillon and it will come in ready to play condition. You may even be able to whittle the price down especially if you can go there and bargain yourself. Cash helps :-)).

Euphdad

Originally posted by: kam5n

I found one being sold on Craigslist in Indiana for $1500 that looks*to be in*good condition. I feel it is the same as your situation, PatRyan...I'm not sure if they realize*what they have.*I emailed them to see if it was still available. The post was a month old, so it's a long shot but hopefully it is and I can check it out.
    Be careful, especially if you're not local to the seller. There are A LOT of scam listings on craigslist that use pics and descriptions ripped off of ebay. In fact, if you track craigslist listings--as I used to do before craigslook.com got shut down--you could trace bogus listing as they made their way around the country.

There's a thread on this very board about one such instance.

Ask LOTS of detailed questions about things that a euphonium player should know, and ask for pictures of specific items like the pistons, the receiver, tuning slide legs, closeups of the caucades, etc.

[edit: I also agree with euphdad: you can't go wrong buying a used horn from Dillon, especially because the horn will have been thoroughly inspected, chem cleaned, and serviced by their repair staff prior to being put up for sale.]

There are at least two 642s on TubeNet today (Dec 17).
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Oh I'll definitely watch out! The one in Indiana is about a five hour drive. I figured it would be worth making a weekend road trip to go check it out

I would definitely like to play it first if possible. Thanks for the dillons website!