X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THM
    • Sep 2011

Music Education Audition - Univ. of Alabama

My son's been accepted to Univ. of Alabama. He's planning on enrolling as a music education major. He's a euphonium player.

He's been asked to prepare, I think, five audition pieces of his choosing.

He'll be getting clarification but that's what he has to work on for now. Any recommendations for pieces to consider?

He's not planning on becoming a virtuoso / music performance degree- he's a solid player, but I think he'll need more practice now that he'll be going up several levels. He (sort of) agrees.

Along those lines, any recommendations for a euphonium instructor in the Western Philadelphia Suburbs / King of Prussia area to help prepare him?

If anybody has any thoughts on Univ. of Alabama's music ed program that you'd like to share via private message, please do. We're up north, but it looks like Univ. of Alabama made an offer he couldn't refuse. So ... roll tide.

Thanks,

• davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Contratulations to your son! It's an exciting time, for sure.

I only have advice on one of your questions, and then it's pretty general. Because he is called on to play 5 pieces, I'd start with the last 1 or 2 he played for contest. Then I'd see if the school has a recommended list. If not, then see if you can get hold of the Alabama high school contest solo list.

No matter where you get the list of possibilities, he should choose as diverse a list as he can handle. A more modern, original euphonium piece would be good. Certainly balance the ones that might show off his slow, pretty playing and some that might show off his technical ability.

Usually you play auditions at college for studio placement and ensemble placement. As a teacher or band director, I'd be evaluating how much range, technique, and tone he has. Also, it is important to see if he interprets pieces musically. Have him test himself on dynamics. If a piece starts at mp, can he also play it at each of two levels quieter (p and pp)? Same test for louder dynamics. It's all too easy to get into our own "groove" and just play what is comfortable, rather than what the composers' indicated dymanics would suggest.

A mature player will get the dynamics right, play with fine experssion, nail the rhythms accurately, have good clear tonguing, and a good solid tone. Your son should show off his abilities to the utmost so he gets all the opportunities that he will ultimately find beneficial.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• THM
      • Sep 2011

Thanks Dave!

Comment

• pmarion
        • May 2010

I am from around that area, and there are many great music teachers nearby. You could check with Jonathon Fowler, or Haim Avitsur; they are the Tuba/Euph, and Trombone professors at West Chester University, respectively. If you are willing to drive into the city, there are a lot of great trombone teachers there as well, Paul Bryan, Matt Vaughn, Barry McCommon, to name a few...There are also some good high school/middle school band directors in the area that teach privately, including my old private teacher I could get you in contact with if you wanted. Hope this helps, and good luck to your son on auditions and finding a teacher!

Comment

• pam
          • Oct 2007

Might be worth contacting Stephen Allen, euph prof at Rutgers and Rider Univ's. Nice guy, great player, and top notch teacher. East of Philly, but still within a reasonable distance of KoP (~20-25 miles). If that's not feasible, you could ask him if he knows any euph instructors in your area.

Comment

• EuphAndy
            • Apr 2011

The last time I checked, the Trombone Professor at Alabama U. was Jon Whitaker. Great guy and consummate musician. He even started the trombone website (which has a little euphonium content): www.rollslide.com

Comment

• pam
              • Oct 2007

[QUOTE]Originally posted by: EuphAndy

The last time I checked, the Trombone Professor at Alabama U. was Jon Whitaker.  Great guy and consummate musician.  He even started the trombone website (which has a little euphonium content): http://www.rollslide.com"]www.rollslide.com

[/q[/URL]

Last time I checked, some guy named Demondrae Thurman was the euph guy at 'Bama.

Comment

• THM
                • Sep 2011

thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                X