X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WVUEUPH
    • Nov 2010

After BCT- Getting back into it at AIT

Hi everybody, I've just enlisted as a bandsman in the 249th Army Band of WV. I am scared about taking 10 weeks off and then having to jump into lengthy rehersals. What is the best way to correctly develop my facial muscles back to where they are?

• pam
    • Oct 2007

The Warburton P.E.T.E has garnered a lot of positive response from people who've tried it. There's anecdotal evidence to suggest that it's useful for maintaining embouchure tone (as in muscle tone, not acoustic tone) while away from the horn.

Here's a thread from this board: http://www.dwerden.com/talk/fo...arburton%20pete

Sam Burtis, aka Sabutin, among others, has some positive things to say about it over on tromboneforum.org (which, if you are familiar with Sabutin's modus operandi, is tantamount to an endorsement); and Doug Elliot's comment implies that he found it to be of some benefit.

[edit: Just saw Doug's comment here: much more positive than the one referenced above. Pay attention to the caveat, though.]

I suspect you could do a lot worse than a few minutes of P.E.T.E. and 5-10 minutes of Breathing Gym exercises every day during BCT.

Comment

• bpwilliams
      • Oct 2008

Been there, did that. Don't be afraid. DO NOT BRING ANY MUSICAL/EXTRA GEAR TO BCT. AFTER BCT, get back to the horn. After a few weeks you will be as good as new. Focus on learning how to be a soldier. Leave the civilian world behind. Keep your ears/eyes open and your mouth shut. Always laugh out loud at least once a day and look on the bright side of life. It too shall pass. Oh yeah, never volunteer for anything.

After BCT, before and during AIT, ease your way back into shape by using a combination of play-rest-play-rest-etc. Slowly, play more and rest less (just like getting into shape to run). You won't forget how to play. The break might actually do you some good. It might give you a new found appreciation of just being able to play. When you get to AIT, there will be a lot of other soldiers in the same situation.

After AIT, you will return to your normal civilian routine, and only have to be in the Army one weekend a month and two weeks per year (in theory). Since 9/11, certain units and individuals have been mobilized (called to active duty) numerous times. The 249th's Readiness NCO should be able to fill you in on any possible mobilization requirements.

Good luck.

Comment

• RickF
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by: bpwilliams

Oh yeah, never volunteer for anything.

Good luck.
        Good advice. I remember the first day of basic the DI (drill instructor) asked if any one could drive a truck. A number of hands went up. The DI asked one of the volunteers to take out 3 trash cans full of garbage using a 'hand-truck'. Then said, "Let this be a lesson... Never volunteer".

Good luck.

Rick Floyd
        Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
        Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
        The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
        Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• WVUEUPH
          • Nov 2010

Sorry for getting back so late. Thanks for the advise guys. Im really excited to go to BCT and AIT. All the players I have seen go through the process have come out stronger individuals and instrumentalists.

Comment

Working...
          X