Thread: Former U.S. Navy Band Directory Donald Stauffer Passed Away

Former U.S. Navy Band Directory Donald Stauffer Passed Away

Legendary former U.S. Navy Band director Donald Stauffer has passed away at the age of 92. He was a tuba player who became director in 1969. Here is his obituary:

http://obits.al.com/obituaries/birmi...&pid=154667073

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I seem to recall that he lived for a time in Indiana, not very far from me.
    Can you, Dave, or can anyone verify that he did indeed live in Indiana (Martinsville, as I recall)
    Or am I delusional?

Jim
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Don't know anything about Indiana. Here is the obit from the Navy's site:

In Remembrance

Cmdr. Donald Stauffer, 1919-2011

Leader,1968-1973

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our shipmate, the fourth leader of the U.S. Navy Band, Cmdr. Donald Stauffer. Cmdr. Stauffer's contributions to the Navy Band, Navy music and the Navy are still being felt today. He was exactly what we expect from a member of 'The World's Finest.' Fair winds and following seas, sir."

-Capt. Brian O. Walden, Commanding Officer, United States Navy Band.

Retired Cmdr. Donald Stauffer, fourth leader of the United States Navy Band, died yesterday morning in Birmingham, Ala. He was 92.

Stauffer was the leader of the Navy Band from 1968-1973. He oversaw the creation of the Commodores jazz ensemble, Country Current country-bluegrass ensemble, and Port Authority popular music ensemble. Stauffer also founded the New Music Workshop, and was instrumental in bringing the first woman into the Navy Music Program, Evangeline Bailey.

He attended the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, N.Y., where he received his bachelor's degree, master's degree and performer's certificate. Stauffer joined the Navy Band in 1942, playing string bass and tuba.

In 1954, Stauffer earned a doctor of philosophy in music education from the Catholic University of America. After being selected for warrant officer in 1956, Stauffer completed tours as the leader of the New York Naval Base Band, head of academic training at the Naval School of Music in Washington, D.C., assistant leader of the Navy Band, and finally as leader of the Navy Band in 1968.

After retiring in 1973, Stauffer served as associate professor at Birmingham Southern College, orchestra director at Altamont Preparatory School, and founder and conductor of the Birmingham Community Concert Band.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium