Thread: Using eyeglass spray on the finish of a lacquer horn

Using eyeglass spray on the finish of a lacquer horn

This got buried at the end of another thread and there haven't been any responses, so I'm going to try again here.

What's the word on using "No-Glare Lens Cleaner" ("effectively cleans all lens types including anti-reflective; non-alcoholic formula") on a lacquer horn? Thumbs-up? Thumbs-down?

David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

I was (and still am) hoping one of our repair experts might chime in, but I would be cautious about what I used on lacquer. I once succeeded in stripping most of the lacquer off a horn just by soaking it for a half hour in hot water (unfortunately, that's not what I wanted to do!).

Lenses are often coated with anti-glare or anti-scratch finishes, so I would guess that the kind of solution you describe (non alchohol) would be OK. If it were me, I might put some of the solution into a saucer and set a tuning slide in it so only the "rear" (normally hidden) side of the lacquered slide area is soaking. Then after 10 minutes or so take it and polish that area. If it withstands that, then it's probably safe.

FWIW I have also heard that Pledge (furniture polish/spray) works well on lacquer, but I have not tried it. Music stores sell lacquer polish, which I have used, and which seem totally safe.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I just had a brilliant idea. I'll try it out on my old Conn, on one of the areas that still has lacquer

David Bjornstad

4. Using eyeglass spray on the finish of a lacquer horn

I would not use a "cleaner" on lacquer. I have found lacquer (particularly on older horns) over the years to be soft and easily wiped off by various cleaners and solvents. I have used Pledge on my Conn and Besson lacquer horns for most of the last 50 years and it works GREAT! I use an old T-shirt (very soft and well washed) to cleans and polish the horn.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

5. Using eyeglass spray on the finish of a lacquer horn

who know's what's in it from one company to another.
    I can't recommend it, but I can't give a professional opinion on what it will do.

Originally posted by: daruby I would not use a "cleaner" on lacquer. I have found lacquer (particularly on older horns) over the years to be soft and easily wiped off by various cleaners and solvents. I have used Pledge on my Conn and Besson lacquer horns for most of the last 50 years and it works GREAT! I use an old T-shirt (very soft and well washed) to cleans and polish the horn.
    I think I'll let this be the last word on the subject. Something that's worked for 50 years has to be good. BTW, I agree on the use of old cotton T-shirts. I have a small pile of them that are too funky to wear, but work great as cleaning rags. I mark them with a permanent marker on the collar to tell them apart in the laundry.

David Bjornstad