Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neo Notes

Neo Notes

Talked with someone from Yamaha. He said the full set of changes, beyond what we already know include

1) computer analysis of the waveform and its nodes so that no brace is put on a spot which would hurt the sound.

2) along with the change to the bell taper, thicker metal is used in the bell

3) there is some sort of variable thickness to the bell to increase resonance

Won't guarantee any of the above, just passing along what I heard.

Personal note: I am happier and happier with my Neo. As it brakes in and I break in with it, the sound gets richer and fuller, and what I can do with the sound expands.

John

Neo Notes

I finally had the opportunity to try the Neo yesterday.

Ergonomically, although smaller than my Miraphone, it seemed to be comfortable to play sitting or standing. I liked the build and the quality of the silver plating. It has an 11.8" bell with a graduated bore size of .591"-.661"

I also like the case. It was a dark maroon leather-like exterior and had nice latches. It was a much higher quality than my Miraphone case or any of the other cases I've seen lately.

I liked the overall sound, it was full and warm, It also projected and resonated well. I used my Wick Heritage 4AL mp.

One annoying thing was that the 2nd valve tuning slide in the front (the one with the eye-lit) kept falling out as a I played. Any kind of playing would just push it out. On closer examination, it seemed too loose. I pointed out to the employee. I'm not sure if the slide was machined incorrectely or what. I would not consider it something inherent in the Neo and most likely an isolated issue with the horn I tried.

I'm not sure if I'm articulating the next point right, so please correct me. I thought the valve "throw" was longer than my Miraphone (at least visually). The valve guides seemed longer, even though the casing seemed pretty standard. I've heard this issue brought up before on another thread and this is the first time I've noticed it. It did not seem to affect my playing, although, I only spent an hour with the horn.

Overall, I'd rate this horn above light years above a student model, in the college range, and creeping into the pro-horn range. For the price ($5,500 silver, $5285 lacquer) I think it would be a great horn for any college student or part time player.

YMMV.

Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

Neo Notes

Originally posted by: tonewheeler One annoying thing was that the 2nd valve tuning slide in the front (the one with the eye-lit) kept falling out as a I played. Any kind of playing would just push it out. On closer examination, it seemed too loose.
    Thanks for sharing your impressions. As to the above, it seems like a quality-control issue. It would be fairly quick & easy for a good repair shop to take care of, though.

This just points out that any company can let something slip through now and then. Yamaha is generally know for consistently good quality, and I'm sure most Neo's don't have this problem.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Neo Notes

The slide issue would not have been a deal breaker for me had I been in the market for a horn.

This is the 4th new horn I've checked out, including the 5050 I currently own. I've tried two different Kanstul Euph comps and they were nice, but the Neo was a much better instrument qualitywise both in build and sound, despite the slide problem.

Euphs:
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Groups:

Neo Notes

Originally posted by: tonewheeler The slide issue would not have been a deal breaker for me had I been in the market for a horn.
    I totally agree! The same make/model of horns DO vary from one to the next. If I found one that was particularly attractive, the loose 2nd slide would not stop me from getting it (although I would at least try to have the dealer to the fix for free!).

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Neo Notes

These are very fine instruments, but suffer from the perception that being still being labeled a Yamaha 642, it somehow retains the good and bad of the previous model, which in sound and response terms it shares little. The Yamaha person told me that more than 30% of an instrument (just reporting, can't verify this is true) has to change to get a new model number. Since the valveset and much of the plumbing is the same it is officially the 642II. But we have learned from Dave's discussions about Sterling and the pains they go to to get the placement of things like braces correct, that small matters can have huge effects on the sound.

I reckon that if it had been called the 742 Neo, it be be getting more buzz than it does.

I owned a 5050 for a while and my memory (not to be trusted) is that the throw was shorter on the Miraphone. But for me that benefit was offset by very stiff springs and an ergonomics which did not work for me personally.

Dan, I think the Neo is more than "creeping into the pro-horn range." I believe it is right there with the other pro horns, as was the original 642.

Its sound is beguiling.

John

Neo Notes

John, it's definitely a "Your Mileage May Very" (YMMV) moment when it comes to most wind instruments.

My last horn was 30 year old Yam 321.

Fast forward to the Internet era now with all these wonderful resources like Dave's group here, and its easy to get up to speed on things real quick! That's how I found out about the 5050 and the opinions of this group of experts helped too. Playing the 5050 cemented the deal for me. The springs and action were a little stiff at first, but after a few months of playing regularly, they seem to be lightening fast for my fingers.

the Neo is a great horn and I'd probably be playing one now had my horn budget been different at the time.

YMMV.

Dan

Euphs:
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Groups:

Neo Notes

Dan, agree totally.

john

Neo Notes

I briefly played on the Neo and an Ambassador 5050 today. The 2nd valve front tuning slide kept falling off the Neo I played, too. I agree with your conclusions.

Neo Notes

I'm just guessing, but you must have been at the Horn Guys in La Crescentia CA?

Euphs:
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Groups:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast