Thread: What partial is this?

What partial is this?

A section mate was using 1-3 fingering for a long count high 'F' concert instead of open or 4th valve. We were terribly out of tune. I added the 4th valve and it seemed worse. I noticed my section mate was using 1-3 fingering. I asked him about it (he plays a YEP-642) and he said he thought it was better in tune. It wasn't, but way too sharp. (I think maybe he used to use 1-3 on his old 'bent bell' Conn years ago). I told him since 1-3 is often used to lower the high 'Eb', that the high 'F' is risky. Told him it's probably 12th or 13th partial. But... I couldn't figure out which partial that would be. Playing the high 'Eb' would be 5th partial I think. What partial would 1-3 be for high 'F' be? Or... is it considered a false tone?

There's a real exposed section for the euphs in Dvorak's "Finale from the New World Symphony". Since it's marked 'pp' we decided that just one euph would play that part. It's a two octave run from low 'F' to high 'F' 3 meas before rehearsal 3 if you're familiar).
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

What partial is this?

With normal fingerings, concert F, E, and Eb are all on the 6th partial.

1-3 or 4 are both essentially an open high Bb lowered a 4th by the use of the valve(s), so the high F played 1-3 is the 8th partial. That is not considered a false partial.

If you were to play high F with 1-2 or 3, that would be the 7th partial, which IS generally considered a false partial. That's why 1-2 would be flat on high F for most horns.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

What partial is this?

Thanks Dave.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

What partial is this?

While we're on the subject of false partials...

If you play from pedal Bb on the open euphonium, the following is the partial list up to high F above high Bb:

pedal Bblow BbFmiddle Bb (usually your tuning note)DFAb (false partial, usually flat)high BbCDEb/E-natural (false partial, right in between 2 notes)F above high BbThe partial series follows the same interval pattern for each fingering, and 7th and 11th partials are false with each fingering. In some cases this can be useful. I've seen Brian Bowman and Steven Mead each use 2nd valve for high D. That's the 11th partial, lowered a half step from the open Eb/E-natural mentioned in the list above. So you end up with a note that is either a sharp D or flat Eb. When you are already playing in a difficult range, the sharp D fingering is easier in some ways than the "normal" choices of open or 1-2, both of which can be flat and really tough to lip upward in that register. It's much easier and more dependable to lip the sharp 2nd-valve D downward.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium