Thread: New (to me) Baritone

1. New (to me) Baritone

Hey guys...I have a new member of the family. I purchased a Salvation Army Triumphonic baritone (see pictures below) from eBay. It came today and I am very pleased. This horn is unuseual since it is a 3 valve compensator. Most SA horns were not compensators. When I visited Charley Brighton last summer, he had a "Super Triumphonic" euphonium that was produced near the end of the SA production at St. Albans. His was essentially a small bell clone of a Boosey Imperial. Apparently the SA were trying to produce professional quality horns and were able to make a few using Besson's design.

My SA Triumphonic baritone unusual because it is also a clone of a Besson New Standard baritone. The design and the serial number (#31794) should make it later in the SA production. (Charley, if you are listening, I'd love to find out exactly when this was produced). UPDATE: Charley's euphonium is #319xx and was produced in 1965. I suspect that mine is pretty near that date (mid-60's).

The horn cleaned up very nicely. I will post some "after" pictures shortly. It playes well, though there is a little valve leakage. Also, some dents on the outer branch and the 1st valve slide is stuck. All else is near perfect. The horn is VERY well constructed and made of very thick brass. It feels as heavy as my 4-valve York baritone.

The collection is now up to 2 English euphs, 2 American euphs, 2 English baritones, and a Holton Superbone. You never can have enough euphoniumes!

Doug

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bari-1.jpg   Bari-2.jpg   Bari-3.jpg  
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

New (to me) Baritone

That's a cool horn to have! I have an old leaky horn and just use a heavier oil (and lots of it), which helps a lot.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

New (to me) Baritone

Brings back memories!! My SA band purchased one of the last complete sets of instruments made by The SA in the early 70's & some of them were actually completed by B&H & were stamped/engraved as such.

I played a Super Triumphonic euphonium in the junior band which was passed down when the senior band upgraded to "round stamp" Sovereigns. When I joined the senior band in 1982 on baritone I received a SA baritone identical to yours although not marked Triumphonic, the other "more senior" players in the section had Sovereigns by then.
    2015 Besson Prestige 2052 - Denis Wick SM3U
    1990 Besson 982 - Bach 24AW
    1992 Bach 42B - Denis Wick 4BL

New (to me) Baritone

Hi Doug,

Your Baritone was completed and tuned (tested) in the St. Alban's factory on January the 7th. 1965 and exported on March 8th.

Best wishes, Chas

5. New (to me) Baritone

Originally posted by: highams
    Hi Doug,

Your Baritone was completed and tuned (tested) in the St. Alban's factory on January the 7th. 1965 and exported on March 8th.
    Best wishes, Chas
    Charley,

Many thanks for the information. It seems that your SA Super Triumphonic euph and my Triumphonic baritone are almost siblings. I have it completely cleaned up (still need to get the 1st valve slide fixed). The valves definitely leak. I'd guess about 70% compression, no more. It brings new meaning to the term "Low Pitch".

The horn has a sweet sound, but I will have to decide whether to invest in a total valve job and cleaning up the outer branch dents. There are no patches on the horn anywhere and no silver wear-thru so otherwise it is in marvelous shape.

Attached are more pictures (after cleaning it)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1022111233.jpg   1022111233a.jpg   1022111234a.jpg   1022111234b.jpg   1022111234c.jpg  

Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band