Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra-Sonic Deep Cleaning

1. Ultra-Sonic Deep Cleaning

A local music repair shop offers ultra-sound deep cleaning for about $80. My horn is about 20 years old (in great condition). I would like to hear members experinces with this service "pros & cons". I have kept my Besson 967 clean and tarnish free, but there are places I cannot get to for cleaning.

Ultra-Sonic Deep Cleaning

Ultra-sonic cleaning has been around for a while, and it is a viable alternative to regular chem cleaning, however Matt Walters (tuba repair wizard extraordinarie for Dillon Music) cautions ...

I've had horns cleaned using both methods *edit* "with good results". The ultrasonic method is environmentally friendly if done with water and does a good job of removing buffing compound. I think it's a good treatment for a new horn or one that has been recently plated.
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

For those hard to reach places on your horn--you might consider this:

Hagerty Silversmith's Pump Spray Silver Polish Non-aerosol Green
    Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

Hagerty's is fine polish, but I question its efficacy compared to ultrosonic or traditional chem cleaning for cleaning the inside of an instrument.

I'm assuming "tarnish free" in majorchubbs post means...the outside of his horn.

Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

The original post is a bit ambiguous...
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

Once a year (usually mid May or early June), I make a 2 hour trip to Winnipeg to the shop which prototypedenNIS works at to get my euph. ultrasonic cleaned. I never had any issues with my euph. getting ultrasonic cleaned. It helps that I have somebody who's an euph. player cleaning my horn! My euph. plays like a new horn afterwards. I get my springs and felts replaced too if needed.

9. Ultra-Sonic Deep Cleaning

Sorry all, had a busy weekend. Tarnish was not my intended concern. I was wondering about the unprotected brass interior of the horn. I clean it about twice a year, but a snake and soapy water can only do so much. I check out the links posted on this thread about "red-rot" and I do not know if there is any in my horn.

10. Ultra-Sonic Deep Cleaning

Originally posted by: pgym

Ultra-sonic cleaning has been around for a while, and it is a viable alternative to regular chem cleaning, however Matt Walters (tuba repair wizard extraordinarie for Dillon Music) cautions ...
    WADR, this actually means that your tubes are already leaking or about to leak on their own. A hole clogged with rust or buildup is still a hole. You'd rather find out about a hole from your tech than to notice your tuning becoming less reliable and your horn leaky whenever it does break through on its' own.

I've been at my work for 8 years, the first 2 we still had a chem bath tub alongside our ultrasonic cleaner. We never used it and when we moved, we didn't make room for it.
    Our chem mix is < 0.2% chemical, I do not have to wear gloves or a mask and it has allowed us to grow our business.

I know a lot of companies that have not switched to Ultrasonic cleaning like to give reasons not to. Honestly, more important than the machine is the guy operating it.

Both systems have a couple advantages over each other, but if you've got a competent tech with high standards, you'll be happy with what you get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast