Mpc: ​Denis Wick 4AL

Twitter: @jorgeuphonium
    Instagram: @jorge_estruch
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/JorgEuphonium

Bach 4G

Originally posted by: JorgEuphonium

I would like to know opinions about this mouthpiece. Thank you
    I still have the goldplated Mount Vernon Bach 4G that I swiped from my high school 30-some years ago.

Every pro and high-level amateur euph player who's tried it over the years says it's a great TROMBONE mouthpiece."

3. Bach 4G

second to what Pam said.

If it works for you, it works.
    If you've already got one, there's no emergent rush to go replace it.
    I just wouldn't recommend buying it as the other options are a bit better, IMO.

4. Bach 4G

On the right horn, and depending on your chops this might be a nice fit. I tried it on a Besson 767 3-4 years ago. I felt this was a really good mach for that horn. I had been struggling with the Yamaha 51 and the Bach 4 seemed to help. FWIW, In the past 5-10 years the number of Euphonium specific mouthpieces has quadrupled. (This goes for all other low brasses too)

Unless you really have too, or you really like, there is no use to buy one of these just to try it.

Bach 4G

Originally posted by: pam

it's a great TROMBONE mouthpiece."
    (emphasis added)

Yep. Fantastic trombone mouthpiece. Doesn't work quite as well for most people on euphonium, although for some people it is good. Karl Schulz in the naval academy band plays one and sounds AMAZING on it. I can't get a 4g to work for me at all on euphonium, though, even though I like it on trombone.

--
    Barry

Bach 4G

How is the sound compared to other mouthpieces as Dennis Wick 4AL, SM4U, DC3, Yamaha 53 H, etc.?
    Jorge Estruch: Euphonium, trombone & tuba teacher/Euphonium player

Euph: Besson Prestige 2052-2
    Mpc: ​Denis Wick 4AL

Twitter: @jorgeuphonium
    Instagram: @jorge_estruch
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/JorgEuphonium

Bach 4G

For me, my sound takes on a brassy, penetrating, cutting edge (think trombone blat) forte and above with my 4G; with my DC3, the sound gets a nice shimmer at around mf, but stays warm, smooth and round all the way up to ff.. I can make my DC3 sound edgy, but I have to consciously contract the size and shape of my oral cavity and change the shape of my air to do it. The 4G sound gets trombone-y if I just play normally. YMMV.

I keep the 4G for the 1-2 times a year when I cover for one of the trombones in my church brass ensemble and need to match the timbre of the the other trombone(s), but other than that, it doesn't get touched.