Thread: 4th valve cover problem.

1. 4th valve cover problem.

Ok, the cover on my 4th valve on my Yamaha YEP 642 is extremely loose. How do I tighten it up? None of my screwdrivers actually fit into the screw. I ask because I'll be playing along, when suddenly, I cannot push down my 4th valve because the cover is in the way of the valve, preventing me from pushing the valve down all the way. What do I do?

4th valve cover problem.

Here are some suggestions:
    1) Pull it back with a rubber band or duct tape as a temporary solution
    2) Take it to your repairmain
    3) Buy the correct screwdriver and do it yourself. Finding the correct screwdriver may not be so easy as the slot may require a driver with (edit) parallel faces and also if the slot is longer and thinner than standard drivers.
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

3. 4th valve cover problem.

I have used a Rubber band. DISCLAIMER: if your horn is silver plated the rubber band will accelerate the tarnishing of the silver and might lead to wear. I would suggest either electric tape (It leaves less glue than Duct tape) Or some kind of twine.

If you don't find a Screwdriver you might want to use sewing thread to help you fix the problem. Cut a long piece of thread. Start looping it on top of the cover inside the brace and check after every other turn how loose the cover still is. The goal is to create a sort of washer made out of thread.

4. 4th valve cover problem.

I had the same problem with my besson. I found a suitable screwdriver and removed the latch and screw(put them in a zip lock bag until I could get the horn to a repair shop). Not like I used the latch very much.