X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeffo
    • Mar 2010

WikiLeaks, Belize, and the Tuba

From today's LATimes, included among some recently released WikiLeaks cables are a variety of mundane little snippets about classical music as a diplomatic tool. A 2008 reference to then-new Attorney General and Minister of Foreign Affairs and trade contains this little bit:

Belize's new Attorney General and Foreign Minister Wilfred Elrington plays the tuba, as did his father. Other siblings and his children also play instruments as well. He described his weekly band practice as something he lives for."

Although I know nothing about the politics of Belize, or to be honest, about Belize at all, I, for one, can relate to Belize's Attorney General and Foreign Minister.

• pmeuph
    • Apr 2007

Given Belize's ties to the British Empire, I wonder if he plays on a Besson... (ie. as part of a Brass Band)

Otherwise, Great find!

(It could be an interesting study someday for someone to compile a sort of Who's who of Brass musicians that have accomplished something great in another field)

Comment

• Nuck81
      • Jan 2010

Belize is a great vacation destination if you ever get to go.

It's a picturesque tropical scenery straight from the movies. They speak English, so it's easy to get around and communicate. The exchange rate is roughly 2:1 (At least when I went) and they take American money in most situations. And it's relatively safe. Great Spot!!

Comment

Working...
      X