Thread: Performing First Solo in Public.

1. Performing First Solo in Public.

I know it's early, but I am performing my first summer on Memorial Day in 2012. I will be performing Lewis Buckley's American Portrait. Any standard advice about soloing with a concert band?

Performing First Solo in Public.

Hi Jonathon,

I'm just an amateur player but I've played a few solos in front of concert bands. Hopefully others with more experience will chime in.

The first thing I would suggest is know the music really, really well. Not sure if you're going to use music or whether you will be doing it from memory, but for me, even if I have it memorized I prefer to have the music in front of me (it gives me something to look at so I don't make eye contact with the audience).

I can get nervous in front of a big group. I found that not eating dinner but instead, eat two bananas before a performance helps me with nerves. Some say it's a bunch of hooey, but it works for me. Bananas have vitamin B and potassium that are nature's 'beta-blockers'. (see this link).

I also avoid coffee several hours before, and make sure I've drunk some water before hand so I'm hydrated.

Good luck. I'm sure you will do fine.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Performing First Solo in Public.

Rick's advice is excellent. Let me just add a couple things.

First, to emphasize one of Rick's points... Harold Brasch talked about dealing with nerves in performance. He said you have to know the piece absolutely so you feel like you can't possibly make a mistake. To that I'll add that you should also know your musical nuances absolutely, and you should be sure to practice the expression just as though you had an attentive crowd listening to your every note.

But there is yet another consideration when playing with a band - the conductor. Granted he/she will try to follow you, but in the heat of battle that's not something you should count on. Be flexible with tempo. Practice each section at the tempo you want it plus a few clicks faster AND slower.

Many players learn whole phrases (which on its own merit is a good thing!). But some players are only able to play entire phrases. If you ask them to start in bar 3 they have trouble. Now, think about a live performance. If a little girl in the front row turns and punches her brother just after you start a phrase, you may be momentarily distracted. Can you bring your focus back immediately by the next note? It is good to check your flexibility by starting at various awkward points in each phrase and see if you can start as though you were in the midst of playing through it.

If you are memorizing, or maybe even if you are not, practice in front of the TV. Have it playing loudly enough so you hear it nearly equally with your own sound. Pick a show that you like, preferable some with some action or laughs, and also with some music (commercials are excellent at providing distracting material). See if you can keep your music and technical focus through that.

If you can do all that... you are ready!

Above all, remember that the audience is there to enjoy the concert. If you fluff a note or two they will still love your piece, so play for your & their enjoyment! Love what you are playing and enjoy the MUSIC as you play. Focus on presenting your musical ideas to the folks.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Performing First Solo in Public.

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}<![endif]-->

From another forum Amy posted this to a discussion about overcomming solo issues - FWIW I like the suggestion.

http://lowbrass.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=198

"You may think that I'm nuts for recommending this, but I do have a suggestion for preparation for those who aren't used to playing in front of a band. When you're practicing alone, do some jumping jacks or run in place a bit before playing through the piece. As I said, it may seem nuts, but I have a good reason. When people practice at home, they're calm and their heart rate is normal. Then, they get in front of a whole band and they get nervous playing in front of everyone. They're plans for breathing get complicated as the body uses more energy when it's nervous. By running through with your heart rate up, you can check to see if everything will work still when you're nervous. There are so many variables when playing in front of lots of people, I just like to elliminate as many as possible!"

Amy Schumaker
    http://www.amyschumaker.net
    http://aeuphoricsound.blogspot.com

Besson 767 New Standard, SM 4U
    Irondequoit Concert Band & Penfield Pops, Rochester NY area

F-Alphorn, Hubert Hense maker, Alderwood
    Alphorn Society of Western NY