X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoneDoubler
    • Jun 2010

Value of Reynolds Contempora Euph?

A lady approached me at band rehearsal tonight to ask for help or advice on selling a euphonium. Her sister has had some health problems and needs the cash more than she needs the horn, so I want to put a realistic value on the horn to help her sell it. Here are the details:

Reynolds Contempora Model 120

3 front valves, detachable bell front, non-compensating

Serial number 56xxx -- dates horn to 1959. The bell engraving says that the horn was built in Cleveland, Ohio.

Valves are airtight and move well, all slides pull

Lacquer is about 80%

The leadpipe and one branch have been removed for dent work. The tech who did the work knew what he was doing; the dent work is well done, the reassembly is neat and solid, and the spot lacquer looks good.

The horn comes with a newer universal-fit woodshell case. It looks like a DEG case and is in near-perfect condition.

The horn plays very well, with a responsive feel and a big sound. If I didn't already have three bell-front horns cluttering my basement, I'd be sorely tempted to buy it myself.

Any idea what this horn should fetch on the used market? The seller is in southeast Michigan, just in case that makes any difference in the market value. Thanks!

• daruby
    • Apr 2006

Value of Reynolds Contempora Euph?

If I recall correctly, the Contempora was the mid-to-high range version of a Reynolds baritone. The Roth was the student line. Reynolds made both three and four valve Contempora baritones with and without the "Diatonic" tuning trigger. They were available in upright or bell-front. By far the most common was the three valve bell-front without the "Diatonic" tuning mechanism. A four valve with tuning mechanism was quite equivalent to a Conn Connstellation. For pictures and descriptions, see: Reynolds Contempora Baritones

Most of the baritones of the era from Conn, King, Olds, Reynolds play pretty similarly. Typically the Conn and King three valve and four valve bring higher prices and are easier to maintain because there were so many built. It is relatively easy to find restored Conn 14/15i or 20i/21i horns as well as three valve and four valve Kings. The King horns are still being manufactured in three and four valves with bell front or bell up.

Generally, when I see eBay sales, the Reynolds sell a little below the Conn equivalents due to their more limited reputation, not due to poor playing characteristics. Currently there are four three-valve Contempora baritones on eBay, three with a Buy-it-Now between $175 and $599. The horn on eBay at $599 is overpriced, since it exhibits some red-rot on the valve caps and other locations. I would expect that around $400-$600 is a fair price for your horn to the right buyer if it is in as good a shape as you described.

Caveat: This is just my opinion. Do not consider this any kind of formal estimate....

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Comment

Working...
    X