Thread: Good Luck!

Good Luck!

Just wanted to wish all of those auditioning this week the BEST of luck! Two more euphonium players will have jobs! Especially wanted to wish my former student, Layne Todd, best of luck!
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com

Good Luck!

Greg Battista...who, a week before, took 2nd in the Lieksa competition, won the USNA job. Still waiting Marine Band results.

It was a great experience and the level of playing was incredible to say the least!

Good Luck!

Hiram Diaz won the Marine Band audition. It was worth the trip just to hear this guy warm up...well deserved.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by: DelVento

Hiram Diaz won the Marine Band audition. It was worth the trip just to hear this guy warm up...well deserved.
    I saw that yesterday on TubeNet. Congratulations to Hiram!

I've not had the pleasure of hearing Hiram in person, but have listened to some of his recordings on 'ACIDplanet.com'. He has some excellent playing there. My favorite is, "Gillingham Euphonium Concerto" (3rd mov) with the UNT ensemble when Dr. Bowman was sick and couldn't rehearse with the ensemble.

Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Good Luck!

I subscribe to "The President's Own Marine Band" quarterly newsletter. In the latest issue they formally announced Hiram Diaz as their newest euphonium player with picture and bio. He's also pictured on the Marine Band's website here.

What I noticed was that three of the five euphonium players are/were students of Dr. Brian Bowman. Also, from SSgt Diaz picture, he already has 4 ribbons!! I suspect those are from his earlier service with the U.S. Army Band in Ft. Benning, Ga.

Congratulations again to SSgt Hiram Diaz... and to Dr. Brian Bowman.

MGySgt Phil Franke is still pictured on the Marine band's website. He was planning on retiring in April but maybe he hasn't as yet. Mark Jenkins was recently named section leader.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Good Luck!

Phil's retirement was about a month ago.

Hiram subbed at a rehearsal with our brass band on baritone and I was just blown away. What an amazing player!!

--
    Barry