Thread: JP Sterling

1. JP Sterling

One of the fun things to do this summer has been to try out new horns. I have played three new horns, just one of which I feel I can talk about.

Today, while I was in Beeston at the Sterling "factory", I got a chance to try out a new JP Sterling prototype lacquer euphonium that Paul Riggett had just received from the factory in China. While not a full review, some facts and impressions:

1. "Feel" - the horn is clearly NOT a Yamaha 642 clone. In fact, the leadpipe placement, valveset, 3rd valve slide position, and handrest all make the horn feel very much like a Besson 967 in size, grip, etc. While the reach for the 4th valve is wide compared with a Yamaha 642, it would feel very comfortable to anyone used to a Besson or Sterling. The distance from bottom bow to leadpipe is less than the Sterling Virtuoso or Miraphone 5050 but definitely more than Yamaha 642 and a lot more than the 842. In respect to ergonomics and feel, I liked the horn much more than ANY of the Jin-Bao (Schiller, Virtuosi, Dillon, etc.) horns that I have played. A young student, or short person with small hands MIGHT find the horn a bit "large" but it felt very natural to me.

2. Leadpipe - The leadpipe is not bent to far around the bell like it is on many of the clones. The angle of the leadpipe is correct for keeping the right elbow up when using the valves. Leadpipe design and placement is an area Paul was involved heavily.

3. Weight - I did not weigh the horn, but felt that it was hefty enough. Paul said that increasing the weight of the bell is one of the significant changes he has been involved with. My Virtuoso is so heavy that I have a hard time comparing other horns.

4. Valves - We oiled them and then they felt fine. Not as good as my Sterling Virtuoso or the Besson, but certainly adequate. Paul is working with the factory on insuring the quality of the valves, both from an engineering as well as a manufacturing point of view.

5. Response - TENTATIVE thought -VERY full and rich low range with easy response. High range (Concert G and above) was a bit more difficult and forced than my Sterling Virtuoso, but high B natural responded a bit better.

6. Pitch, I didn't use a tuner so I can only guess. I was aware that I was lipping concert Eb 6th partial down, but F didn't seem too bad.

7. Sound - Good with my Alliance DC3, but much better with my regular Alliance E3. Nice, warm, pleasing sound with a hint of "British" in it. Not as smooth and rich as the Virtuoso, though.

8. Other thoughts - If the Jin Bao horns are Yamaha 642 clones (which they seem to be), then one MIGHT think of the JP Sterling as a Besson Sovereign clone. The grip in both right and left hands is also very Besson-like. The horn has a floating leadpipe with a center brace that is similar to the the Besson Prestige and Sterling Virtuoso. The positioning of the bell brace is also the "Besson" position rather than the high Willson position or lower Yamaha position.

Summary: Not quite a professional horn in sound or responsiveness but very good. This horn seems to have implemented the improvements that Paul required to allow the Sterling name to be used. If the factory in China can implement the ongoing manufacturing quality controls that Paul expects, then I think they can have a winner.

Note: I don't know much about pricing, but I would expect it to be at a premium to the afformentioned Chinese clones, yet at a significant discount to the hand-built professional level horns.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

JP Sterling

Thanks for sharing all those thoughts, Doug! Paul has a good project going there. I think his experience of managing production in England for so many years places him in a unique position to create a better import instrument than might otherwise be the case.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. JP Sterling

Great review!

I am new to the forum as well as euphonium. I have played a little euphonium in middle school and high school but not as my main instrument. My main instrument is Bass Trombone, however, I may have to switch to euphonium due to tendinitis preventing me from playing Bass Trombone. I am starting euphonium in concert band for the remainder of this semester and into next semester.

I am currently playing my college's Yamaha YEP-321 with a Wick 4BS; I like it but if I am going to use Euphonium as my main instrument of study through the rest of college, I would like to pickup a large shank with a 3+1 configuration and compensating would be nice, too.

Currently a sophomore music ed major and interested in the JP Sterling JP374S Euphonium. Has anyone else been able to try these and give a detailed review with comparisons to other euphs?

Thanks!

Euphoniums:
    - Schiller Elite Nickel Comp.

Trombones:
    - Michael Rath R400 Bb/F Tenor Trombone

Mouthpieces:
    - Greg Black Symphony Tenor 5G Lightweight
    - Doug Elliott EUPH LN103.I.I9
    ------------------------
    wjygmusic.com

4. JP Sterling

Jordan, you don't say where you live. Since you use the terms "middle , high school", and "music ed", I am guessing you are in the US, not England. If so, I think the JP Sterling may not be available to you. It is sold by John Packer in the UK and I have not seen them here. Peruse the various other articles here and see what folks have to say about other horns. I also would check with your teacher to see what he/she recommends.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

5. JP Sterling

Originally posted by: daruby Jordan, you don't say where you live. Since you use the terms "middle , high school", and "music ed", I am guessing you are in the US, not England. If so, I think the JP Sterling may not be available to you. It is sold by John Packer in the UK and I have not seen them here. Peruse the various other articles here and see what folks have to say about other horns. I also would check with your teacher to see what he/she recommends. Doug
    Hi Doug,

Yes, I do live in the US and there is a dealer though, unfortunately I live in Hawaii and he is in California so testing horns is a little difficult. I have tried a search and there hasn't been much review about the JP Sterling, but I will try again as well as search for other horns. The Besson 1065 has also peaked my interest, although it is not compensating. My teacher is primarily a trombone player and there is no euphonium teacher here at the University of Hawaii. My teacher does like the Yamaha euphoniums though.

Thanks for your help!

Euphoniums:
    - Schiller Elite Nickel Comp.

Trombones:
    - Michael Rath R400 Bb/F Tenor Trombone

Mouthpieces:
    - Greg Black Symphony Tenor 5G Lightweight
    - Doug Elliott EUPH LN103.I.I9
    ------------------------
    wjygmusic.com