Thread: King or Conn compensating euphonium

1. King or Conn compensating euphonium

I've been wondering about this recently, so I would like to put it forward to you guys.

With the exception of Kanstul, no American company makes a real pro standard euph.

Yes, there's the King 2280 (or the Conn or Bach of same design) but as good as this instrument is, it doesn't use the compensating system which is one of the true marks of a professional instrument.

The patent's been up for a long time, Taiwan, China, Czech Republic, Germany, Switzerland, and Japan all make these.

With the current US economy and the increased costs of imports of late, I believe that Conn-Selmer could viably make a reasonably priced compensating euph a a price point below Besson and Yamaha.

I understand that Kanstul's been making them for awhile, but Kanstul is a smaller shop that is a bit more boutique than CS and charges that premium.

What are some opinions on this?

King or Conn compensating euphonium

I playtested the Kanstul and wasn't impressed with it, though I do own and play on a Kanstul 33T, their non-comp BBb valves-across-the-top tuba. I wasn't impressed with the ergonomics on the Kanstul. Short, stubby, it just didn't fit well. Sound quality wasn't good, either. Sort of tinny and I had the impression that there just wasn't enough metal in the bell.

As to the rest of the American companies, there might be a point at which the market wouldn't support another company making comp euphs -- I dunno.

Good topic for discussion, though.

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

3. King or Conn compensating euphonium

Yes, we need more U.S. made comp-euphs. I think Jupiter makes a comp-euph and I think that they are U.S. I don't know about quality, but they are lower priced than many imports.

King or Conn compensating euphonium

Jupiter makes instruments in Taiwan and China.

--
    Barry

5. King or Conn compensating euphonium

I believe Jupiter's compensator is Taiwanese. Some of their cheaper stuff is Chinese.

6. King or Conn compensating euphonium

Sorry about that, wasn't sure on location. A little tangent from the topic,but I would like to see a Schilke compensator as well. They make some wounderful trumpets (so I'm told) and now have trombones in production. Maybe a Getzen/Edwards euph would be cool. I'm pretty sure they are both U.S. based.

7. King or Conn compensating euphonium

No problem... it's hard to keep track of these things.

I suppose Schilke or Getzen would be possible.

One of the things with Conn Selmer is that they are a "full line company." They have pro instruments in almost any position in a band or orchestra but I think they're missing out on 2 categories.

Compensating euph.
    Rotary Tuba.

For several US companies, a compensating euph seems like a reasonable expansion of their lines, for Conn-Selmer, it seems like a glaring omission. They've got the manpower to do it, they just never have and with the US economy, the time to do it is NOW.