X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • euphisto
    • Jul 2006

New Lead Pipe Design for Willson Euphoniums

This was posted at the other low brass site.

It appears there's a new lead pipe for Willson Euphoniums. Hopefully Charley can report on the characteristics of this new modification and if it will available in the US (or if we can order the new lead pipe for a retro-fit).

In September all 3 models of the Willson Euphonium (2900, 2950 & 2960) will be in the UK with a new lead pipe configuration, designated UK models.

Prototypes have been tested here with excellent results. I had my own older (1992) 2900 converted that pretty much transformed the instrument;

http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k309/highams/

CB
  • prototypedenNIS
    • Feb 2006

what's different in the design?

Comment

• highams
      • Feb 2006

Hi from England,

A few months ago a prototype 2960 was sent over with the new leadpipe. It's identical to the York one only with a different receiver. Those who play tested it did not want to give it back!
      I never got a chance to try that one, but on good advice decided to convert my own 20 year old 2900 using an Eminence York lead pipe.

The original (large shank, not euro shank) mouthpipe was heavily soldered onto the bell, the current one sits completely off the bell with extra strong solder joints at the valve block & receiver stay. There's an option for that to have a stay fitted if nesc. later, but so far it works well.

The instrument has always played very well, I have lost count of the number of offers to sell it I have turned down (the factory sent me a new model in 2006 as a Willson sponsored artist).

I've played it for 4 days now and did the first solo on it tonight with the BBC Winds. It's a dream!
      It has freed up the instrument & range and is so much more responsive. Intonation is fine and the high tc C & D notes sing nicely. Only the high tc F has moved slightly, but I'm sure that will find it's slot in time.

A very good move I think!

Chas

Comment

• highams
        • Feb 2006

I'm sure at some point in the future, Willson would be able to supply the new leadpipes for retro fit. I must say that the workshop at Rosehill here in Beaconsfield did a great job of the fitting, with only a minimal mark left by the original solder position.
        Chas

Comment

Working...
        X