Thread: Meinl Weston 451S

1. Meinl Weston 451S

Hopefully this doesn't belong in another thread, but I just wanted to give my two cents on the MW 451 that I've been testing out for the past week and plan on purchasing.

My first impressions before I even played a single note were that the valves are very quiet (I have a habit of fiddling with the valves when I'm not playing the instrument), and that it is a very comfortable instrument to hold. Being slightly on the smaller side (5'7" 140lbs.) and with long arms, this will probably be a little different for most people. The moutpiece sits at the perfect height without the towel that I used under my Jupiter. Its a small issue, but is nice to not need to be messing with a towel/pillow every time I want to play. The reach to the fourth valve is perfect for me and it just seems to naturally fall into the right spot for me to play.

As far as intonation goes, I had to pull out the main tuning slide A LOT. However, the individual I took it to (who has been teaching euphonium for well over 20 years) attributes this to not being used to using a large bore instrument and that over time the pitch will center better as I get physically accustomed to the instrument. The sixth partial Eb is the only note that I could not bring into tune either with minimal lipping or manipulating a slide, and will have to use the fourth valve since it is just the slightest bit flat with the fourth valve.

It is very free blowing, and I love the color of the sound that is produced which is much richer and fuller than the Jupiter that I've used for the past 5 years.

I don't know if this means anything but I have been testing it using a Yamaha 51 mouthpiece, which seems to work well enough.

2. Meinl Weston 451S

Hey everyone, its been awhile since I've been on the forum and feel that I should write a followup to this since my opinions have changed somewhat.

At the current moment, I am not as happy as I feel I should be with the MW 451. The intonation hasn't gotten any better, and although most notes are close enough for me to work with, I feel like I'm constantly fighting the instrument when playing in band and trying to get each note in tune with the rest of the band. The 6th partial, as with most compensating horns, is extremely sharp and for a while I was using the 4th valve to get it closer, when I retested all of my intonation about two months ago (at the suggestion of my band director), I found that the 4th valve Eb was very flat, and 1st valve on that note is still sharp. I'm not positive that all of this is the instrument's fault. It could be that with the way that my embouchre is that it doesn't want to sit in tune, or my playing could be totally off.

With those negatives out of the way, I still think that it sounds great. I love the tone quality that I get with it. The compensating range is still good. I wouldn't say its excellent, but it is on par with the Besson 967, Miraphone 1258, and the Yamaha 642. The only instrument I've ever tried that has a better comp range was the Miraphone 5050. The notes slot well, and it is a very open horn. The high register comes out great. I'm regularly playing up to a C an octave above middle C now and the tone is even throughout.

I guess my only issue with it is the tuning, which I know is a big deal. Like I said, it could be me so I can't say that as a blanket statement for all MW 451s out there.

FWIW, I'm currently using a Schilke 51D for all of my euph playing.

That's all for now. Just thought I should follow up on this since it's been a while.

-Tim

3. Meinl Weston 451S

what valve springs are you using that makes them quiet? i have a non-original set that is a tad loud, but gives good action.

Christopher Chen
    bolded are for sale
    B&H 967 - Globe Stamp
    B&H 960 (3 valve comp euph) - Globe Stamp
    Salvation Army Triumphonic Eb Alto, silver plated

On the lookout for:
    Silver plated:
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Alto/Tenor Horn
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Baritone (3 valve)

York/Sterling/LMI variants accepted

4. Meinl Weston 451S

I've been using the same springs since I acquired the instrument, but I did buy it used so I don't know whether they are original or not. They are just plain uncovered springs. I don't think they're anything special.

5. Meinl Weston 451S

is the serial number supposed to be on the mouthpipe or on the side of the 1st valve casing? the number on the lead pipe for mine is 941 L but the 1st valve casing says 9xxxxx. when i emailed the melton factory they asked for the number and said it would be on the mouthpipe.

Christopher Chen
    bolded are for sale
    B&H 967 - Globe Stamp

On the lookout for:
    Silver plated:

6. Meinl Weston 451S

The model number should be on the leadpipe, and the serial number should be on a valve casing.

7. Meinl Weston 451S

what model is 941? is mine the way it should be?

Christopher Chen
    bolded are for sale
    B&H 967 - Globe Stamp

On the lookout for:
    Silver plated: