Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Thornton

James Thornton

Does anyone know where James Thornton (North Dakota native, former "President's Own" US Marine band euphonium soloist) currently resides?

Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

James Thornton

I Googled "James Thornton - euphonium" and see that he recently played (March, 2011) the prelude at a Methodist Church in Minneapolis, MN. Not sure if that means he resides there though.

Church bulletin

There's a great video of him playing "Facilita" by Hartman, arr. by himself.

Facilita
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

James Thornton

Of what a couple of young adults (who go to Dickinson State University) told me at the International Music Camp 2 years ago, Dickinson, ND. No idea if he moved since then or if he was out soloing with his sister as a piano accompaniment with that church bulletin Rick posted.

4. James Thornton

Last I knew he was still in the Dickinson, ND area. At least he was when I was still at DSU.

James Thornton

When I was in college getting a music degree, my brass instructor would've kicked my butt if I played with my cheeks puffed out like that...

Then again, whatever works.

James Thornton

Originally posted by: highpitch When I was in college getting a music degree, my brass instructor would've kicked my butt if I played with my cheeks puffed out like that... Then again, whatever works.
    I'd play standing on my head if I could sound like that.

James Thornton

I was able to connect with Mr. Thornton and we have exchanged a few emails. I asked him for some advise as a former player getting back into it...I also asked his opinion about the various pro horns available and what he played. Hopefully, he doesn't have a problem with me sharing his thoughts. I'm sure some folks here may disagree with his assessment, but I thought the comments were interesting regardless.
    From an email by: James Thornton
    Larry,
    Congratulations on returning to the world of euphonium & the world of music. It is very exciting to see someone rediscover the thrill and challenge of playing our instrument... As far as advice re this endeavor all I can say is concentrate on using your air well; deep breathing and gut control; and using your gut for all your embouchure control - out, down, & flexed. I play the Willson 2900 - actually I own two of them to always have a backup. I was fortunate that, when I was in "The President's Own" U.S.. Marine Band all of the euphonium manufacturers sent us many of their euphoniums to try out for many years as each wanted us to select theirs in order to set the standard that would greatly influence the rest of the euphonium world. The Willson 2900 won hands down ( not the Willson 2950). Yamaha and Sterling felt good at first but did not end up projecting the quality that one originally thought. Hirsbruner was second best. The Germans weren't competitive.

Good luck
    Jim
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

8. This an old thread but I want to bump it. Does anyone have Jims contact Info. I'm just over the border from DC and would love to convince him to give me another lesson

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeEuph View Post
    This an old thread but I want to bump it. Does anyone have Jims contact Info. I'm just over the border from DC and would love to convince him to give me another lesson
    I haven't emailed him since 2011. However, I actually JUST sent him an email...and his email address is no longer valid. So I am looking for updated contact information as well!

Jim Thornton is still on staff at The International Music Camp during the 5th session (the 3rd week of July) and still lives at Dickinson, North Dakota as far as I know as of 2 years ago. I would think the best bet is an up to date email address etc. of Jim Thornton is from his brother Dr. Bruce Thornton (great clarinet and saxophone player by the way) who teaches at College of Saint Benedict in St. Joseph, Minnesota which one can look up Bruce's email address from College of Saint Benedict website. (I don't think Dave Werden would allow me to post an email address of a person without their consent)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast