Thread: SM3 vs SM3U

SM3 vs SM3U

Hello,
    Did someone tried this 2 mouthpieces?
    What are the differences (sound...)
    Thanks
    Vincent

SM3 vs SM3U

I haven't spent considerable time playing on the size 3 mouthpieces (they feel a bit too big for me), but I've switched from the SM4 to the SM4U about a year ago.

Denis Wick's website (http://www.deniswick.com/lates...ews/8-new-ultra-range) gives the following description of the "Ultra" mouthpieces:
    The new mouthpiece has a different, heavier outer shape, a slightly more rounded cup and a slightly sharper inner edge to the rim.
    The big differences for me:

1. With the Ultra, it's easier to make softer tones speak.

2. The Ultra doesn't have any any of the so-called "Wick Fuzz"- that little bit of air in the tone that Wick mouthpieces are known for producing on the euphonium.

Someone with more experience with the size 3 mouthpieces might be able to help more.

SM3 vs SM3U

They are not the same mouthpieces at all. I have played both extensively, and always play on a 3 size rim for any serious playing.

I agree with T J on the air in the sound point, but the original SM3 gives more of a classic brass band sound, whereas the SM3U gives a clearer sound, sort of a conservatory sound. Which sound you prefer probably depends on taste and playing styles.

For me the bigger variable is cup depth; the U model is shallower, with all that implies... The SM3U could better be labeled the SM3.5U.

Not sure if for me, either is easier to play softly. May depend on the instrument.

John

SM3 vs SM3U

Steven Mead says the internals are identical between the ultra and the standard SM series. The difference is in the mass on the outside of the mouthpiece if that makes sense.

I haven't played an ultra yet but I did make the inquiry to Mr. Mead via email and he answered me back.

Lee

SM3 vs SM3U

Well, I stand corrected!

My unscientific method led me to believe there was a difference. But checking more closely, I find they do seem the same.

But by gosh, I will stand by my assertion that the U model subjectively plays smaller!

I think we are learning the strong effects mass distribution has on mouthpieces: 4AL - Heritage 4AL; now the SM series; and the very interesting mass distribution on the Alliance David Childs series (the DC2 is what I am playing pretty much full time now).

John

SM3 vs SM3U

Originally posted by: JTJ I will stand by my assertion that the U model subjectively plays smaller!
    Disclaimer: I haven't compared these pieces.

But I would not disagree with your assertion - certainly not based on measurements. Obviously the shell shape can affect things, as can material, nether of which would show up in measurements.

Another often-overlooked factor is the rim profile. A difference in flatness in general, or even just in the bite of the inner edge, can make a perceived difference. And that can also make an actual difference in sound because it affects the way your chops vibrate, and to some extent, the amount of lip that freely vibrates.

On my mouthpiece pages I list dimensions. It's a useful place to start, but there is soooooooooooo much more involved. The only way to know for sure about a mp is to play it for a while.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

7. Hi guys!

I would like to raise the question. In 2016 many people, have bought the line SM-U and new line SM-X .

I have played with SM3 for 5 years! In The Next time I have switchable to DC2. But, this is not for me! Now I return to SM3.

But, I have a doubt to for new purchase: SM3U.

I have tested SM3X , but this do not like.

What do you think about this products?
    Last edited by Nemesis; 07-14-2016 at 05:23 AM.

I do have some difficulty playing softly on my euph (Hirsbrunner 378). Wether it is me or the horn I do not know, but I just have trouble with the softer notes.

I used to play on a DW 4AY, it is the small shank. I did not have the shaft adapters that a Hirsbrunner normale comes with, but I managed to get them from mr. Hirsbrunner. Then I switched to a DW SM4U with large shaft. I did notice a clearer, richer tone but still the problem with soft playing. Then I tried a 4AM (medium shaft); I find it plays easier than the SM4U, maybe tone quality is slightly less but imo hardly noticeable. But I have the feeling that it is a little bit easier to play softer with the 4AM.

I know these three mouthpieces all have different size shank, so maybe there is some difference in response etc. there as well, I don't know.

But for me, the SM4U and 4AM both sound very much alike, but the 4AM plays just a little bit easier for me.

Nemesis, what do you dislike about the X model?

I cannot comment on the U model but I went from an SM4M to an SM4MX and the differences are immense. The X model is a bit shallower than the U but otherwise very similar. Moving from the SM4 to the SM4U opened up the tone and increased my flexibility. To elaborate, lip slurs are far easier and the tone is rounder but perhaps not as dark. A lot depends on the horn as well. I play a Willson 2900S which has a dark sound so losing some of this is okay. Overall the change makes the horn easier to play.

10. Quote Originally Posted by MarChant View Post
    I do have some difficulty playing softly on my euph (Hirsbrunner 378). Wether it is me or the horn I do not know, but I just have trouble with the softer notes.

I used to play on a DW 4AY, it is the small shank. I did not have the shaft adapters that a Hirsbrunner normale comes with, but I managed to get them from mr. Hirsbrunner. Then I switched to a DW SM4U with large shaft. I did notice a clearer, richer tone but still the problem with soft playing. Then I tried a 4AM (medium shaft); I find it plays easier than the SM4U, maybe tone quality is slightly less but imo hardly noticeable. But I have the feeling that it is a little bit easier to play softer with the 4AM.

I know these three mouthpieces all have different size shank, so maybe there is some difference in response etc. there as well, I don't know.

But for me, the SM4U and 4AM both sound very much alike, but the 4AM plays just a little bit easier for me.
    thank you for your opinion

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Nemesis, what do you dislike about the X model?

I cannot comment on the U model but I went from an SM4M to an SM4MX and the differences are immense. The X model is a bit shallower than the U but otherwise very similar. Moving from the SM4 to the SM4U opened up the tone and increased my flexibility. To elaborate, lip slurs are far easier and the tone is rounder but perhaps not as dark. A lot depends on the horn as well. I play a Willson 2900S which has a dark sound so losing some of this is okay. Overall the change makes the horn easier to play.
    The X serie, have a cup depth very very low, respect to old serie SM.
    This for me is a problem, because the air that I emit is limited.

The only small advantage are the high notes. but for me that i not have a problem with high notes(also with SM2), is a problem, because it limited the my air and my power of sound, for all intervalls.

The series SMU have a cup more hight respect to SMX.

But I wanted to try the SMU series, because some friends told me that does not depart much from the SM and greatly enhances the stability of the sound.

Guys I apologize for my English not very fair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast