Thread: Playing my euphonium at a wedding

1. Playing my euphonium at a wedding

I can't remember where it is or can't find my first post about this, but I am playing a wedding this month. One of the euphonium players in my community band - her daughter is getting married - has asked me to play - accompanied by organ.

The music has been selected - Pavane, op. 50 (Fauré); Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, (Bach); and Trumpet Voluntary (Clarke).

I'm using Classics for Weddings - a Fentone publication - ISBN-13: 978-0-230-00925-7. Nothing extremely difficult to play but pleasing to the ear and a good chance to showcase the euphonium. I must remember it's about the wedding and not me and my instrument.!

2. Playing my euphonium at a wedding

Originally posted by: keithbarton
    I must remember it's about the wedding and not me and my instrument.!
    so no carnival of venice

Playing my euphonium at a wedding

Hi Keith,

Sounds like some good selections. I'm sure it will go well.

A very important day for the bride and groom (and their families).
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

That. Is. Awesome. How often does that happen? I agree with RickF. Your selections sound good.

5. Playing my euphonium at a wedding

Rehearsal today and the wedding is on and I'm playing Trumpet Voluntary, Pavane (Fauvre') and Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring. Organist commented how nice the euphonium sounds in the church. Had never "worked" with a euphonium. Will be in a big choir loft back of the church with the half million dollar organ. Going to record it. Dave. thanks for suggestions on music, too. Btw, we read Bach's Ave Maria, much better than Schubert's in the church. The euphonium is truly a glorious instrument.

Organist commented how nice the euphonium sounds in the church. Had never "worked" with a euphonium.
    In one church I played, their pastor said something similar.
    I told him that I heard that if they run out of harps in heaven that they will give you a euphonium to play.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

7. Playing my euphonium at a wedding

Harps and euphoniums. Reminds me of a story Arthur Lehman told me about hearing Harold Brasch play with a harp in the Sail Loft many years ago. The wedding went very well, but I played better in rehearsal I made an audio recording of the entire wedding. The organist is very talented and the church has a massive organ donated from somewhere in Michigan ; huge thing & very impressive. I was in the choir loft back of the church with the organist, a vocalist, and a violin. I had one microphone pointed out over the sanctuary and the other aimed at the choir loft area. Not the best recording but very interesting to hear IMO. If any of you get a chance to play such an event, go for it.

Where can we hear it?